Return to the Market Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Herb Pots

Posted by mustgarden Zone 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 2, 11 at 0:45

Has anyone tried selling mixed herb pots in the fall?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Herb Pots

No, do you mean for growing indoors in a window sill? That is a good idea.

o

Yes! I've been selling them at one market, but just occasionally, so thought I'd try a more urban area and see if there's a better market.

o

I don't sell them in Fall because for some reason I get too busy mid-summer to get them started at the right time. My plan has been to start small batches of basil every ten days or so starting late July or mid August. That would give a more even supply of nice plants going into the fall. Dill might be nice for using at leaf stage as dillweed. Parsley would be good tho started earlier as kind of slow.

If want cilantro, that must be planted frequently and customers warned it will go to seed rather rapidly. I sell these earlier in season and never in combination as their harvest is very short compared to many herbs.

You didn't mention what kinds you plant together. Mixed pots are nice, but it always seems one kind either dominates or another flakes out. I'd think you would want to have combinations that require the same basic watering and soil requirements.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Market Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here