Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oregonwoodsmoke

Displaying Baked Goods

oregonwoodsmoke
13 years ago

Those of you who sell baked goods at the farmer's market, how do you package and display them?

Comments (3)

• myfamilysfarm
    13 years ago

I don't sell baked goods, but I do have fellow vendors that have been selling them for years. Here's what they do.
    One of them displays the goods on a red/white checked table cloths with 2-3 of the same items from front to back on the table. They use plastic bags with ties. These people have been selling baked goods at my market for over 25 years and have a VERY good cliente.

Another baker uses a sneeze shield (basically an angled piece of plexiglass over her product. Her product is also either individually bagged or is a large cookie sheet with individual items to be served as needed.

Another baker displays all of his product in the plastic bags with bread ties. He doesn't use a table cloth. His sales are not as much as the first people, but he also hasn't been at this market for as many years.

Hope these observations have helped you.

• boulderbelt
    13 years ago

I too do not sell baked goods but see what the bakers do

the woman who sells pies and sweet breads wraps everything in plastic wrap. the cupcake lady displays her cup cakes on a table with cake stands so she has 3 levels of display. the cupcakes are packaged in upside down plastic cups with lids (she was using clam-shells but they were very messy if the cupcakes did not stay perfectly upright)

The bread people usually use nice large baskets to display their breads. Some people wrap their loaves in bread bags some just have them unpackaged and put the bread into paper bags when they are purchased.

the cake people generally display cakes under cover and have boxes that they put them in for the customers.

I do not know where these people get their packing supplies. I would assume a restaurant or bakery supply wholesaler.

• kydaylilylady
    13 years ago

I mostly sell 9X5 and 3X5" loaves of quick bread. About 20 different kinds. I supply three markets over the weekend and bake around 75 batches of bread/cake a week during July and August.

Everything I bake goes in zip lock bags. Quart storage for the iced cakes which are 3X5" and sandwich bags for the uniced. If they turn out rather large they'll go in the quart storage too. Gallon storage for the 9X5 loaves.

Required labeling of ingredients and processing statements, along with my name etc. go on computer generated labels and are placed on the outside of the bag.

I'm sure that if I graduate to other iced cakes etc. that I'll have to come up with some other type of packing. I haven't crossed that bridge.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES