Return to the Market Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
veggie washing/bagging room

Posted by randy41 (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 29, 13 at 5:57

for the past couple of winters i've been using the little greenhouse for washing and bagging things like salad mix, and washing and bunching carrots, etc. it is the only heated space i have to do this in. when its warm enough i can do this outside but for the most part the weather is way too cold for that in the winter.
i've got a pile of lumber from taking apart the old chicken house and i would like to build a small building to use for prepping stuff for the market. i've got some basic requirements such as running water, easy drainage, heat, room to move around, room to store some supplies.
any thoughts on what you would like in a room used for this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: veggie washing/bagging room

Plenty of table space, I use folding tables that I can pop up when needed. I use the same tables for market, I just make sure that the tables are good and clean for market.

Check with your regulations for a certified kitchen and make the walls and floors within their suggestions. You never know when rules will change. Build to specs or more, that way if things change you can do something else with it. Here that would mean, easy to clean walls and non-porous flooring. Plus a good sweep/mop cleans up easily.

Screens on windows and plenty of windows for the warmer days when it's rainy.

o
RE: veggie washing/bagging room

Randy, sounds like a great idea. I'd suggest making it bigger then you think. I ran out of room in mine pretty quick.
One think I especially like in our wash up room is a small RV type bath tub raised on a frame, it's about 2X4 and made of fiberglass. With a hose and sprayer, it's great to wash just about everything, with no bending over.

Other things I suggest: a concrete floor with drain, a rubber standing mat on the floor in front of the tub, lots of shelves and hooks for market baskets, permanent counter tops, bright lighting (inside and out), a 100 lb spring scale. And of course, a radio.

-Mark

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Market Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here