Return to the Market Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Still micro green troubles

Posted by mtgs 6 (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 11, 12 at 10:04

I am still having trouble with damping off of my bulls blood beets, carrots and cilantro microgreens. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. I am growing them inside my home under lights. I am using a sterile potting mix, and growing them in the styrofoam containers I get my strawberries and mushrooms from. I water from the bottom , and use a heating pad to aid in germination. I have used the typical 6 pack black containers, but still have this problem.Is there anyone who might know what I' m doing wrong?or could share with me the way they grow micro greens in a soil mix. Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Still micro green troubles

You use carrot tops in micro greens? I have never tried that.

o

too much moisture???

o

Damping off is pythium, which grows when roots are too hot. Is the heating pad on all the time? You only need the heat for a short time until the seeds sprout. After that point it will encourage pythium, which is basically root rot.

If you get the soil temps down, you're not overwatering, and you still get pythium (I hope you sterilize those cups before re-using), then you might try experimenting with beneficial bacteria.

o

When I was talking about carrot tops I meant when starting for outside planting. Sorry.

o

Damping off is always because of lack of air circulation and often too much moisture. Do watering at the beginning of the day and only as much as necessary and provide air circulation however possible. Damping off can occur in even so called "sterile" potting mixes. Steve Gruenke

o

OK Here is what I do. I grow greens all winter(four years no damp off yet) Micro and up. I start with a potting mix. Use standard ball test for moisture. make a dibbled hole in the center of cell and add vermiculite Depth of hole depends on seed size. With micro greens I spread a layer of vermiculite over the whole surface. Now I plant the seeds and spray with my hand spritzer. cover with clear plastic and put under lights.I do leave the plastic on a lot longer after germanation than recommended, but I have a very dry house due to my heating system. I do not use a heat pad as the lights keep the soil over 70 F. The grow area is at 82 F. while the lights are on and drops back into the 70 F. range when off. Humidity is around 50% One thing I do not water very often when the plants are young, and like you water from the bottom. You can see the moisture on the plastic so no need to worry. So I would ask you what are your soil temps. Beets and carrots like it cool so do most greens. If you are running in the 80F. range germination might suffer. Hope this helps I have had damp off when I first started planting seeds indoors - frustrating. Keep working at it you will fix it

Curt

o

what about moisture..?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Market Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here