Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jrslick

Fall Market Booth and Produce Pictures

Finally I remembered to bring my camera to the Market with me on Wednesday night. After I took this, I saw that I forgot to put out my sign. My booth is smaller this time of the year, but I am not selling as much either. I also have to pack everything in coolers and I have filled everyone I have and some! I have to load up everything at 6:00 am, teach school all day and drive, set up and start selling by 4:00. Sales were down from last week, but I will continue to go until the end of the month.

This week we had radishes, broccoli, bok choy, spinach, arugula, salad mix, green beans, bell peppers, carrots, haikuri turnips, okra, and jams and jellies.

Broccoli

Salad Mix

Spinach

Haikuri Turnips

Radishes

Bok Choy

{{gwi:390199}}

Arugula

Comments (9)

• thinman
    13 years ago

Great looking produce, Jay! I like the weights around your canopy legs. I've seen quite a few different things used to hold canopies down, and some don't work as well as others. We had a number of windy and rainy markets this fall and I was wishing for something other than 5 gallon buckets of water. Do yours work well?

ThinMan

• eric_wa
    13 years ago

Jay,

Wow! Everything looks great. Buy Fresh, Buy Local. :-)

Eric
    Double Dog Farm
    {{gwi:1037531}}

• jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thinman: I do like the weights, one thing I would change is to use bigger buckets. If I have time, I will make some out of 3 gallon buckets. I would also drill another hole in the tent so I can use a wing nut instead of a plain nut. The current hole is too close for a wing nut.

Jay

• randy41_1
    13 years ago

nice stuff jay. can you talk about how you clean your salad mix? do you use a salad spinner? and spinach?
    at our market there are vendors who sell salad mix for $10/lb.

• jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Randy:

The salad mix is really clean and bug free in the fall. I bag it up in 8 ounce bags and try to get $3.00 a bag. $10 a pound, THAT IS CRAZY! On Wednesday, I had people come up and ask, "Will you take less for your Lettuce?" I almost laughed! If they only know the labor involved! I don't know why I grow lettuce and spinach, I can barely sell it and lowering the price doesn't move it any faster.

How do I prep greens for sale. This is what I do. I have several big 18 gallon rubbermade totes with lids. I harvest the greens into large bowls, then I dump them into the tubs. Using a hose, I squirt down the greens and fill the tub with enough water to cover the greens and put the lid on and keep it in the shade. I go back and pick another large bowl and dump the on top of the greens in the water. I rinse and add more water. I do this until I have all the greens I need. Each time I add some more water to the tub and push the greens down in the water. This is my first rinse.

After harvest I take the tubs into the house and pull them out of the water and put them in the big sinks in the house. I do another rinsing and then put them in big mesh bags. To dry, I place them in an old washing machine and turn it on spin cycle. I make sure I put a clean towel on the other side to make sure it stays balanced. I spin them until they are dry. Usually 30 sec to 1 min. Sometimes you have to stop and fluff/rearrange them to ensure good drying.

I usually spin out 2-3 pounds at a time. I am sure you could do more, but I don't harvest and sell that much at a time.

I remove the bag, dump out on a clean table and sort, mix, bag and weigh then I put it in the fridge. My lettuce will easily last 10-14 days and even longer. I tell my customers it is rinsed and they need to do another rinse and dry prior to eating. However, we just eat it out of the bag at our house!

I do the same with the spinach, however, I do it in smaller batches if the leaves are bigger.

If I had more help at the market, I would probably just bag up the lettuce in big bags and then dump it out in a large tub and have the customers bag up their own. However, this seems very dirty to me. I don't know what my customers would think.

Jay

• randy41_1
    13 years ago

i think i will look for a big salad spinner since i don't have an old washing machine. the vendor who sells the mix for $10/lb displays it in a big bowl with tongs and customers take what they want and put it into a plastic bag. i prefer the pre-bagged way at least for now. i am new to growing salad mix.

• andreaz6wv
    13 years ago

I really like the big bowl w/tongs idea. I know they have it priced at $10/lb, but does it really sell at that price? It would never go for that where I am!

• randy41_1
    13 years ago

it sells well at that price. but i don't know how much they sell so it really doesn't tell the story.

• sandy0225
    13 years ago

$10 a pound sounds high--until you show someone just how much you get in a pound. That's a lot of leaf lettuce. Maybe you could have a sample bowl showing how much is in that pound.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting