Return to the Market Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Alternative to normal composting methods?

Posted by lclhrvst BC (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 23, 13 at 12:57

I find making compost to be a time consuming and management intensive process. I've been considering the idea of keeping one section of my garden as a organic waste dumping area. And then using this as a part of my vegetable rotation. I would just till the waste into the ground in the fall before planting a cover crop and then wait till next year before planting any crops there, would that cause any problems?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Alternative to normal composting methods?

it works, just like nature does in a woods or that type of area. It will take a bit longer, than turning it. It might take 2 yrs instead of the one.

o

I do that. My acre and half yard produces a ton of waste material. Large bulky stuff gets hauled to the woods across the driveway and everything else gets piled up in long rows in one section of the vegetable garden. It does not completely break down by the following Spring (it would if I spent a great deal of time stirring it and adding water and such). So I rake off the top layer of coarse stuff and til up the nice rich bottom layer that did get broken down. It is so much easier than hauling away every bit of debris throughout the summer.

o

We pile ours up in a bin we made from three sections of that privacy fence so that the neighbors wouldn't have to look at it, we flip it about three times a year with the skid loader. It takes a few years, but we get good results. I'm thinking about adding a couple more pieces of fence to make another bin attached to the first one so we can start a new pile without any new material in the old one, so it will finish up.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Market Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here