Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
heidi41_gw

Anyone started making X-mas wreaths yet...........

heidi41
19 years ago

Just wondering if any of you make X-mas wreaths for your farm markets. We have already started full production with fresh cut(daily) greens from a local tree farm. Wreaths are a great seller for us here from the roadside stand. What materials do you find hold up the best? Heidi

Comments (33)

• mossman
    19 years ago

Heidi

May I ask what you pay for your greens from your local supplier? And what varieties of greens do you use.

Do you use faux berries or real berries(or non at all) in your wreaths.

I use fresh rosehips which hold up very well in wreaths.

It seems that wreaths in general have gotten very competitive in recent years price wise. I don't even try to compete anymore with the basic balsam greens, pinecone and berries look. Every thing I make is now mixed greens. Anything to make myself different from the competition.

• robin_maine
    19 years ago

It's still a little early for us. We start on November 1. I've seen a lot of pick ups loaded with brush this week.

• Sue_in_Colorado
    19 years ago

We'll start during the first week of Nov. I agree that wreaths have become more competitive. We do the hand crafted mixed greens base too & decorate with rose hips, & lots of dried florals from last seasons garden. It's hard for me to get good greens locally - we've been in a drought for the past 4 years & the stuff usually looks awful. It rained this year, so I'll get a permit from the forest service to harvest doug fir, Rocky Mt. juniper, etc. I also use blue spruce (hard on the hands but gorgeous with silver fir)and cedar that i can get for free around town. I order in other accent greens from wholesalers. They vary in price, but range from $25.00 to $40.00/ 35lb. bale. A bit pricey, but they're beautiful & a little goes a long way.
    I find myself using more & more juniper, the blueish/gray new growth is so pretty & easy to get my hands on.

I'm curious about HOW others make their bases. I bought a Kelco wreath machine a couple years ago. I like it, but don't even come close to producing 80/day (the number they say 2 people working together can do in a day). Maybe I'm too picky, but it takes me about 15-30 minutes each depending on size, and thats before decorating.

I'm really interested in talking more about wreaths if anyone's up to it.

• Sue_in_Colorado
    19 years ago

Sorry, I should have put this in my last post. This is a link to our Christmas wreath web page. These are last year's prices.

Here is a link that might be useful: Christmas Wreaths

• mossman
    19 years ago

Sue, you have a wonderful website.

For a different look, I'll use osage oranges instead of pinecones. The chartruese "hedge apples" look really great with a mixed base of cedar(light green),fir, and a light green pine(I use white pine). Finish with a nice tartan plaid bow and embellish with a few rosehips or dogwood twigs and you've got a nice wreath.

I too am concerned about the competetion that the "big box" retailers have brought with them. It seems more and more people only shop price when picking out a wreath. I swear, I'll drive by quarter million dollar homes and they all seem to have the cheapest looking wreaths on their doors.

Anyone else have anything to add? Now's the time to share ideas before the season hits.

Moss

• buckster
    19 years ago

Howdy all,

I would love to learn how to make the wreaths. I don't think I'll be able to make them this year but I would love to make them for the church etc. Where to you get the wreath machines and learn how to make them?

Thanks a ton,
    Bucky

• mossman
    19 years ago

Bucky

I bought my machine from the Mitchell Wreath Co. They're out of Northern Wisconsin. They sell the wire frames and included in the purchase of their machine is a blueprint for assembling a table for using their machine.

They're great labor savers.

• heidi41
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I also purchased a wreath machine a couple years ago. Best investment I made! My wreaths are made from balsam, spruce, blueberry juniper and various other greens that I truly don't know the real names of. A good deal of my greens are cut from an old x-mas tree farm that is now over grown. I can get those greens free. The balsom I get is thru a wholesaler whom gets it from canada. About 16.00 per bale. Yes, the balsam is great to work with but you are buying greens that were cut a couple months ago up north. I feel that only about 75% of each bale is usuable. I usually can't get my hands on the balsam bales until the week before Thanksgiving. Than I would have to work around the clock to fulfill all the orders. So, by making the wreaths with spruce(I actually think they hold up better outdoors)also, I am able to easily fulfill all my orders and still have enought to keep my farm stand stocked. We also make candy canes, swags, cemetary boxes, large and small, centerpieces, and oh yes Kissing balls. Now those balls are a lot of work, but boy do those sell quick. Back to work for me.....Heidi

• robin_maine
    19 years ago

I have a Kelco machine that I use for 12" (22"-24" finished size) unless I'm doing florist face wreaths. I do all florist face any rings over 12" by hand. My sister and I or my husband and I can put out the 80 wreaths a day but nobody else has been fast enough enough to put hands together to come close to making 80. If I'm working alone I make a pole's worth of tips into hands, stack them on the table to my right (I'm right handed) and go from there. It's faster for me that way than to make a hand, wind it, make a hand, wind it.

My husband does from 36" (ring size) up. He can do a double sided 48" in 45 minutes by himself. I don't even try. Our 11 year old daughter does most of the decorating. I do all the shipping for retail. Anyone standing around at the wrong time gets roped into bundling for wholesale.

We've had a lot of rain this year and our brush looks good. We've struggled the last three years because of drought. I'm ready! I look forward to wreath season each year!

The picture linked below is my husband with a wreath he'd just finished.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1046592}}

• Sue_in_Colorado
    19 years ago

Thanks for the compliment mossman! Here's a link to a company that makes wreath machines that wrap w/ wire.

You know, there are no such things as kissing balls out here - a totally eastern thing. I wonder if they'd fly here?

How long does it take you all to construct a wreath base?

Here is a link that might be useful: wreath machines

• Sue_in_Colorado
    19 years ago

Robin - Great picture! That's a beauty. Sorry to sound so lame, but what do you mean by "making a pole's worth"? New terminology to me. Sounds like you have quite an operation going. I really like wreath season too, It's a nice change from the field work & farmers' markets. Only part I don't enjoy that much is all the packing & shipping. There just isn't a completely relaible shipper & boy, people can get so bent out of shape if a wreath arrives a day later than anticipated. Thanks for the information.

• heidi41
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I use that same term over here, thought it was just a silly phrase that I made up. For us it referrs to the 8 foot metal poles that I string with wreaths, than hang horizontally in the barn where it is cooler. This is a great time of year, like you said, nice change from field work. I never realized that kissing balls are an eastern thing. All I know is that as fast as I can produce them, they sell. Does any one use Holy clippibg in there wreaths or centerpieces? HEIDI

• maplea
    19 years ago

Hi everyone,
    Yes I am starting on my wreaths already. I haven't even had time to enjoy halloween because christmas is coming. I make mainly holly wreaths.
    Heidi, how do you make your kissing balls? I am on the west coast, but I think we should have them out here too.
    Robin in Maine: That's a gorgeous wreath your husband made. What a lot of work! You must be kept very busy at this time of year.

Maplea

• buckster
    19 years ago

Hey u guys thanks for the info and this is a totally great thread. I started making things with dried flowers and I really wanted to make some Christmas wreaths this year. I want to start out with douglas fir and build from there.

Take care,
    Bucky

• barvinok
    19 years ago

Guys, your wreaths are wanderful! I'm interested in instructions on making kissing balls too. Do you start with foam ball or frame?...Tell us ,please:-)

• robin_maine
    19 years ago

>>>Sorry to sound so lame, but what do you mean by "making a pole's worth"? http://www.thymeforewe.com/pole.jpg An empty pole. Note the branch at the bottom and the rope.

That's not lame. I had to ask a lot of questions. This is a pole. We use hardwood saplings. The branch at the bottom serves as a hook to hold the tips on. My husband can fill a pole without a hook and pack it well enough to keep them all on. I need a hook. We pile them on with stems pointing in three directions (think triangle) to keep them fairly even. The tips pictured are loose. As the pole is filled the tips are compacted down to hold themselves snugly to the pole. When the pole is finished a rope is run from bottom to top and tied tightly to keep the tips on. You can carry the pole horizontally when it's full if the tips are on tight. They don't suffer any damage from this. My poles are 5' tall and weigh about 40 lbs when full. The second picture linked below shows a little bit of brush on a pole.

On shipping - we have an account with UPS. If I have the customer's email address they get an email telling them when the wreath was shipped and tracking info.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1046594}}

• almcclur Amanda z9a San Antonio
    19 years ago

This is so interesting! I'm nowhere close to being able to do this right now...we're in the process of moving and will be switching 5 ZONES WARMER! From cold 3 to a warm 8. Still I would love to read up on how to make wreaths like what you're describing. Are there any good resources on the web or in print you guys could recommend?
    Amanda

• heidi41
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I'll try to explain how to make the kissing balls....The base is a 5' styrofoam ball. Next thread a 1 1/2" ribbon through the center of the ball. I cut my ribbon 2 yards long, fold it in half, then thread it through. leave about a 6" tail at the bottom of the ball. use a twig from your clippings and tie it at the bottom.(I know I'm lousy at explaining things, sorry)( You will need to use the stiffer stemmed tips to push thru the ball). Start at the bottom and push the tips into the ball at least an inch. I work my way around the ball in a spiral motion with about a 1/4" between tips. The ball is suspended from a naill in the ceiling of the shop while it is being worked on. When filled, simply trim the ball to a nice shape, decorate as desired. My completed balls measure about 15" in diameter. I do wish I knew how to import pictures from a disk on to here, than you could at least see the process. Hope this helps, if someone else could explain this better, please........ HEIDI

• barvinok
    19 years ago

HEIDI, your explanations are very clear and simple, thank you very-very much!!!

• maplea
    19 years ago

Yes, you explained it very well. Thank you. Now I just have to try it. I'll have to go and get some styrofoam balls and get to work.
    Maplea

• heidi41
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Do any of you use anything to help preserve your wreaths. I just mist mine with water. I was just wondering is there was a natural product out there that is used by the "pro's". Heidi

• Sue_in_Colorado
    19 years ago

Thanks for the information Heidi & Robin - A picture is truly worth a thousand words!

The Safer's Soap people ,make a product similar to wilt-proof that I've used as a preservative in the past. For the most part, though, I just store the bases in a cool, shady place outside under a tarp. Haven't noticed much difference between the 2 treatments - except that one cost me money& the other didn't!

I think the most important thing is using greens that have received a good hard frost before being cut. Seems to really help needle retention. I remember reading that blue spruce held up poorly - never been my experience.

• robin_maine
    19 years ago

We don't tip until we've had three nights around 20°. The cold forces the tree to set a waxy coating on the sprills to protect them from the cold and wind. Once the waxy coating is set the sprills shouldn't dry out and drop until well after Christmas. For us it means waiting until around November 1.

Finished wreaths are stored in a cold spot out of the weather. Wreaths that are hung shouldn't be placed on the main door behind a glass storm door. The glass will intensify the sun and heat and break the wreath down faster than a wreath hanging in open air.

• heidi41
    Original Author
    19 years ago

WOW, what interesting information. I was wondering why we had to wait for the first hard freeze before we could start taking the trimmings. Thanks a bunch for all the info. I guess I had better get back into the shop. I have been making dozens and dozens of wreath bows for my orders. I usually get this part done at 4:00 in the morning while I'm waiting for my son to wake up and go off to school. All the wreaths and cemetary boxes and kissing balls that are made, I spray with water every day(several time). I store them in the cool barn out of the wind and sun. It seems to help. Gotta Go,, HEIDI ( P.S. Sue and Robin, your pictures are fantastic).

• Bob_NJ
    19 years ago

I start making wreaths and grave blankets around Nov 10. Thats when the first shipments of balsam arrives from Canada. If you start too soon the wreaths dry up. This is the most nerve wracking season of the year because by the time we start we are already behind, and by the time we catch up the market is flooded with product.
    This will be my 24th. year at wreath making I always look forward to the season then can't wait till its over...Bob.

• gbsnbass
    19 years ago

We'll start making wreaths around Nov.11.
    In years past we would have started mid Oct.,
    we decided to start later to keep them from drying
    to quick.
    We dip in Greenzit or Wilt-Pruf to keep them fresh
    longer.

Mark

• rjvt
    19 years ago

Sorry to join this discussion late.

I have been making wreaths (by hand) for the last few years. I looked into Kelco's machine a few years ago, got their video, but I didn't like the look of the wreaths they were making - they looked kind of thin and floppy. It sounds like people here have not had any problems with the machines and feel like they are worth the investment.

I have always just sort of figured out wreath making on my own, but have been looking for some sort of instruction book or something on wreath making. Specifically, my double sided wreaths seem to separate near the ring, so that you can see some of the branches, rather than having the boughs come together at the outside (if that makes sense). Does anyone know of anywhere to get more info on wreath making (other than the Maine extension service article)?

TIA

• imtoobusy
    19 years ago

I know many of you may have already started making your wreaths but I think you might like to look at these wreaths for ideas. Notice the PRICES of these wreaths. Most of them are only 12-18". Scroll down the page for the fresh wreaths. Now if only we could all command these prices!!

Here is a link that might be useful: williams sonoma wreaths

• Katagious
    19 years ago

Heidi,
    Hello =) I'm just curious if there is a specific reason you don't use the traditional "potatoe center" for your kissing balls?

• hollytreeS_talktalk_net
    15 years ago

Hello there from sunny England. I am a new girl on the block and thinking of making some Wreaths for the first time this Xmas. Your comments have been very useful & inspirational. I beleive it is rather difficult for you to get hold of fresh green holly this time of year.I have 6 30 feet holly trees in my garden if anybody would like some please just ask & I would be happy to ship some across. How much would you be prepared to pay as I have never done this before!!
    Look forward to hearing from you and the best of luck!!

• bryan_ut
    15 years ago

Bucky you haven't burned up yet? How is the orchard? Good to see you on the forums still!

We have been making dogwood wreaths for about 1 month, dogwood stars for 3 weeks, rosehip wreaths for 3 weeks, boxwood/rosehip squares for about 2 weeks, christmas wreaths were started about 2 weeks ago. Next up this next week is curly willow. 1985 when we first started making wreaths seems so long ago. We used a wrap form to wrap them.

REF machines and rings: I have used Kelco it is nice, but very expense. Mitchell's machine is the cheapest, but it only has the clamper and wreath material comes lose often. The best machine in my opnion is the the wreath master from maple ridge supply, it has a clamper and arm that comes over and makes the wreath very tight. I have 3, a guy making wreaths about 35 miles from me has 4 and a guy that we trade with in CA has 2. They really are the best. Now to rings... Maple used to buy and resell Mitchell's rings. Here are the 4 that I have used: Maple ridge good but resells, Mitchell's usually the best price unless you are buying a pallet of 4,800 on a 10 clamp pallet. Cherokee the best price in the US that I know of, BUT you need to buy a pallet! Oregon wire is nice if you like them painted already or vinyl, but they are expensive.

For christmas wreaths we are using douglas and sub alpine fir, juniper, rosehips, incease cedar, port orford cedar and pine cones. Wholesale prices have dropped to around $1 a clamp the lowest in years. Stars are more money of course we are charging $15 for a 10 clamp 4' star made of dogwood. Those of you only making a few may I suggest going to your nearest green waste facility or dumps. We by a forest service bough permit. It is .10 a pound and we cut boughs off the lower branches of the trees.

The biggest problem we have is cutting or getting enough material for 3 wreath makers it takes 2 to 3 truck loads a day. Our bundles usually make 5 to 7 wreaths a bundle. Right now a 10 clamp wreath is selling for $10 to $11 wholesale and $15 to $18 retail.

Good luck to all. With the economy we have seen wreath sells drop and wholesalers wanting 60 to 90 days to pay. With $10,000 of wreaths it gets difficult to pay labor, gas, and rings upfront.

Bryan

• lisamona
    13 years ago

Hi there- new here.
    We bought a somewhat rundown xmas tree farm that we are slowly (very slowly)
    turning into an orchard. Meanwhile we are selling trees that could be shaped and have had requests from people wanting to harvest boughs from our Nobles. We have several thousand Noble Firs that have lots of nice boughs. Now that makes me think that I should maybe look into making some wreath to sell along with our trees. I am looking at oregon wire for machine and rings. Does anybody have suggestions on where to get greens other than nobles? I would love to have some holly and dogwood etc. Thank You- this forum is GREAT.

• Deanna Thronson
    8 years ago

Is anyone interested in greenry for your wreaths and centerpieces. We live on a tree farm where we have an abundance of noble, cedar and pine. Let me know if you are interested.

Thanks

Dee from Thronson Forest Products