Return to the Market Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Halloween market item ideas

Posted by deanriowa 4b (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 8, 08 at 15:03

I would like to grow some items to sell next year at a small store.

I thought about growing the following:
Wee-B-Little - Pumpkin
Howden - Pumpkin
Lumina - Pumpkin - white

I noticed the Lumina pumpkin is only about 10-12 lbs, is that going to be big enough for people to buy.

Any other suggestions on items to grow, maybe gourds?

thanks,
Dean

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Halloween market item ideas

The guy next to me in my market sells the hell out of squirel corn. I mean just regular yellow field corn .50 an ear sells 20-25 ears a week all year long he also sells indian corn three ears in a bundle for $2.00-$2.50. sells alot of it. If he doesn't sell it, he just packs it up and brings it back next week.

o

What do you mean by squirrel corn? Do you mean corn that you feed to the squirrels? (I did a google search and the first hit, of all things, was a plant on the CT Botanical Society's website that is in the bleeding heart family! Which, by the way, is threatened...)

Anyway, the Indian corn sounds like a good idea if you have the room for it. One of our vendors sells gourds that have been made into birdhouses. I don't know how many she sells, but there are always lookers at her table.

:)
Dee

o

If you are growing corn you can cut and dry the stalks for fall decorations.Pumpkins will sell no matter the size. Some want small size for table decorations.Gourds need to be grown the year prior so they can cure out. Small Assorted type may not need the time to fully dry, as they will lose their color.

If you have nut trees you can pick them up and have small baskets of them.

o

The Wee-B-Little pumpkins are a GREAT seller! I dont grow them (I buy wholesale off of a friend of mine), but I paint faces on them and sell. BUT... I have alot of people who buy them unpainted. Especially teachers who want them for their class. The gourds are great also. Even the fresh, bird house gourds sell even though they are not dried yet. Gourds of different verieties.. people use them in their fall displays. IF you have room for regular feild corn... be it for the corn, or the stalk bundles. Broom corn was a HUGE hit for me this year. It is a nice change from the regular corn stalks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Market Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here