Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oregonwoodsmoke

Taking Credit Cards at the Market

oregonwoodsmoke
13 years ago

I found this info on real estate forum. I don't know anything else about it, but my first thought was "Yeah! A way to accept credit cards at the farmer's market."

A new company called square up allows you to take credit card payments using your cell phone and a card reading device that plugs into the headphone jack. There are no monthly fees and no application to fill out. You are only charged a small transaction fee for each swipe. You can also manually input the card number into your phone, but the transaction fee is a little higher.

Comments (6)

• myfamilysfarm
    13 years ago

What's their site? I may be interested.

• oregonwoodsmoke
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I did a google for SquareUp and their web page came right up. I wasted a lot of time looking for information, before I figured out that you click on the > to move through the photos. (I'm not very techie)

The device (card reader)looks like it is about 1 inch square and it plugs into a cell phone.

While trying to wade through their terms of agreement, I noticed that they actually do a credit report on you before you can get the service. That made me feel better about them. I wasn't impressed by the info that they didn't take an application. 'No application' just struck me as a good way to get the device into the hands of crooks.

I don't know anything about this company and I would check them out very seriously before signing up. You would be giving them your customer's credit card information, plus your own bank account numbers and most likely SS# (so they can pay you).

But, if the company checks out, it looks like it would be very easy to accept credit cards with no more equipment than a cell phone and their little card reader.

• boulderbelt
    13 years ago

The Saturday market I go to takes credit cards via the manager's stand. In order for this to work the market also has an alternative money system called greenbacks that are good at all market vendors booths (we also have special greenbacks for EBT customers).

This allows people to use credit cards at market and it also means we vendors do not get stuck with the credit card charges (a charge for every transaction plus monthly fees).

Judging by the fact we get more and more greenbacks every week I would say the credit card idea is very popular

• spogarden
    13 years ago

The manager of our market takes care of this for us also. He has a credit card reader setup and gives out $5 wooden dollars, we can give change back on those. Also they give out $1 wooden coins for the food stamp program, we don't give change on those. It really helps with the people who never carry cash.
    As a consumer, I would never give my credit card to a random vendor at a market, I would be afraid of fraud.

• sandy0225
    13 years ago

I take credit cards occasionally at the market. Most people carry cash at least $20 or so when they come to market. But sometimes they go over or want something that costs more than they'd planned. I have an old "knucklebuster" type card imprinter I use, then I key it in at home. I give them a signed copy as a receipt and so they know I"m not going to rip them off. I put my copy right in with my money so it's secure.I take cards at the greenhouse, so it doesn't cost me any extra to take them at the market, just takes longer. So I don't advertise especially that I take them, I just point it out when people act like they want something but don't have cash money.

• lila_green80_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

Yes, You are right.

There is a portable 990 imprinter which works on same way and is suitable for business on the go. This imprinter is most popular among moving business like taxi services, limo services and moving trucks. This imprinter can be use anywhere you like.

Here is a link that might be useful: Portable 990 Imprinter

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks