Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dirtdigging101

Something new to me - Strawberries

dirtdigging101
9 years ago

At the farmers market here in Hickory, NC one man had fresh local strawberries. $ 3.50 per pint.

He told me how he did it, they hold the plants in cold storage until summer, he did not tell me when he planted them. They were of very fine quality and just the very standard Chandler variety. He plans to cover with straw and have a spring crop too!!

He also had fresh home grown black berries

Comments (8)

• jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
    9 years ago

Kansas State University has been working on some research and it should be coming out soon about different cropping methods for strawberries. I know one of them was to plant berries in August and expect harvest in November. I bet that is how he did it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Strawberry production

• myfamilysfarm
    9 years ago

Not much higher than I got a few years ago. Chandler is a good berry providing you have sweet soil. Different soils will produce difference in taste/sweetness. Strawberry plant suppliers do keep the plants in cold storage during the dormant months and then sends them out to customers at the correct time to plant. You are advised to pick the blossoms the first year, but I never did. (Never had the time)

I sometimes planted as late as July (In Indiana) and had a crop the following year. Gave the plants plenty of time to produce good roots.

Now many people are planting in the fall (with enough time for rooting) for picking the following years.

don't plan on the plants to produce good the first year, great the 2nd year and then on the 3rd year the plants start to go down hill.

Just my experiences. this is for regular June Bearing berries. There are a few varieties that can be picked with good results in the fall (you would get a good price, since most people except Strawberries in spring/summer).

• boulderbelt
    9 years ago

I plant day neutral berries so I have them from April through November or december.

• randy41_1
    9 years ago

the advantage of june bearing strawberries like chandler is that they produce a lot of berries in a short period of time and give you something to make some money with while you are waiting for tomatoes. i've planted them in a hoophouse in september and harvested them in may-june for the past 2 years. they paid for the hoophouse plus some profit in the first year. i treat them as annuals and pull the plants when they stop producing in june. then i plant something else in their place.
    i don't see how you could get strawberries from an outside planting in november unless you live where there is no freeze.

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

Randy - don't you normally get field berries in June (maybe even late May) down there? Here I have them by mid-June, sometimes early June.

But that's an idea - I have so many plants I need to thin, it's later than I would normally transplant, but now that I have empty beds, I could put some in there and mulch heavily (which I do anyway for the established plants) if you think they'd survive the winter. Then cover with low tunnels in March-April (or earlier) if you think they'd produce next year. Then pull them out when I'm ready to plant squash, cukes, etc. b/c they should be done by late May?

You did mean you don't see how you'd get strawberries in Nov from outside planting, not that planting in Nov wouldn't give you any strawberries the next year?

I wonder, could you get summer-bearing strawberries in Sept-Oct at least if you put them in HT in June, maybe in gutters? Then closed the tunnel up to keep warm when it got cooler in Aug-Sept?

• randy41_1
    9 years ago

i think its too late to plant strawberries now whether in an unheated tunnel or outside. they need some growing time to root. i think you can thin your strawberries and save the thinnings by keeping them refrigerated until its time to plant in the spring. field berries here are ready like you say, in late may/early june. i had the tunnel planted strawberries from mid-may to mid-june this year.

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

Ah, you said you harvested may-june so I figured late May - early June.

I'll just keep everything in the beds and thin/transplant in the spring. I transplanted in Sept last year and they looked good this June but didn't produce much (the established plants did, but "stripmunks" got them).

The problem here isn't having them early since markets start so late - it's having a 2nd harvest later on. And keeping the varmints out of them.

• trianglejohn
    9 years ago

I'm also in NC but the other end of the state and a lot of the newer varieties will produce a fall crop if the weather is mild. I have Chandler in one bed and they have no flowers or fruit right now. In a similar bed 40 feet away I have San Andreas and Albion and most of those plants have nice ripe berries on them almost as full of a crop as they had in early Summer. The berries don't seem to last as long once picked for me. Within hours of picking they are breaking down so I eat them in the garden while working on the other plants.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022