Return to the Market Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
selling seeds at market

Posted by little_minnie MN zone 4 (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 26, 10 at 20:06

Does anyone have ideas on how to market seed packets at market? I have the nice clear 'bagettes' with the seeds and the names clearly written on, but this spring very few sold. I don't think amateurs like buying seeds without photos on the packet even for so cheap. So I have an indoor market next week and want to bring fresh seeds. I am trying to think of a way to show them that makes them more user friendly and noticeable other than in a long box separated with index cards with the varieties typed on.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: selling seeds at market

Can you find some 'clip strips'? These are the thingys that hang along the aisles. Usually the stores throw them away when new ones come in. I've picked some up at my grocery store back room (I'm a merchandiser also). I use the hooks for my lights. Also If you can get a picture from somewhere, it would help.

o

Hmm. I work at a grocery store and can get clip strips. Cool idea but since it is an indoor market I won't have a canopy or anything tall. Might 'borrow' a clip strip for next year though. All my signage materials are borrowed from work or from the trash.

o

Minnie, I meant the plastic 'throw-away' clip strips, not the metal ones. I'm sure you won't have to just 'borrow' them.

o

Could you print a picture of what it is such as marigold, tomato, green beans, etc... and put on the back of the packet? Or get larger packets that is more like what seeds come in at stores?

Someone here a few years ago said they had packs of tomato seeds. Six seeds per pack and sold them for $1 and they sold well for them.

Andrea

o

You might already be including them, but growing instructions might help. I would imagine that an amateur would be intimidated by seeds that just have the name on them if they don't already know how to grow that type of plant.

Just a thought!
Jill

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Market Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here