Return to the Market Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Here is another thing I am working out for next season

Posted by little_minnie 4 (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 1, 12 at 20:14

I am using the fall to review the year and get ideas for a better 2013- of course, right? I just do the one Thursday market then had 3 Friday shares, 5 Sunday/Monday and 5 Tuesday. I work on Mondays and Wednesdays and I am busy Tuesday night and Saturday morning.
So I have been working out if I want to add another market and where and what day. The Monday market in St Cloud is not accepting new vendors unless someone quits. (I might drop a day of work or change back to Sunday so that left Monday a possibility) friday is an option in a few towns but it is so close to Thursday. Wednesday market I happen to know is very slow. Most markets south of me toward the metro are Thursday night and Saturday morning, plus they intimidate me.
So that is what I am brewing on. Previously I had just figured on adding more CSAs especially since they take less hours, but now I feel there might be another market with a good fit for me somewhere. I am keeping it open. I wish you could get a market agent like actors do LOL! They could help find a market for you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Here is another thing I am working out for next season

I tried to do back to back markets, one of Friday evening then Saturday morning. found out that it was just too much. If I had a good market on Friday, I didn't have enough for the Saturday's customers. I never got to unload/reload due to time.

If it was me, I'd try to add a few more CSA members.

o

I do two markets a week, one on Wednesday the other on Saturday. I have my online market that does a delivery on Tuesday night (in my hometown) and a Wednesday delivery at the Wednesday market.

I tried to do a Wednesday and Thursday markets and I ran into the same problem Marla had. If Wednesday was good, I wouldn't have enough for Thursday. So I quit the Thursday market and focused on trying to sell more at my Wednesday market. I lucked out the year I stopped the Thursday Market, 3 or 4 of the big vendors at the Wednesday market had a bad hailstorm. They didn't have any crops to sell for weeks. I started to gain customers and didn't look back. Now I don't have to worry about saving things back and hoping for a good Thursday market. Not to mention, It is more relaxing to only do two markets a week.

Jay

o

We were doing 3 markets per week, Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays. It was really hard to figure which weekday would be the better day. Found out that it was usually the day that I didn't bring as much. Now that market is on Saturday only, and the Thursday is in a different location. 3 days per week didn't allow the plants to recoop enough for the next market day. Allowing 3-4 days between markets are the best for the plants.

Marla

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Market Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here