Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
farmsteward

Looking For Labels

farmsteward
14 years ago

I am looking for a source of sheets of pot labels that I can print myself using a laser printer. I know I have seen these online in the past, but have not found a source in the US. anybody here printing their own?

Comments (26)

• myfamilysfarm
    14 years ago

I've been printing my label on regular 2x4 envelope labels. They don't last very well, but they hold up for 1-2 months, which is long enough for me, then I can remove them easily if the plant doesn't sell.

• herbgardener
    14 years ago

I went to Staples and purchase sheets of approximately the right size for the pot self adhesive labels. Printed them and then sprayed them with a Varathane spray to keep out water damage. Did not a bad job - not totally professional but cheaper
    Also just bought packages of self adhesive sheets printed them all out, sprayed them and then used a cutter to cut to size. Did it over the winter and they were good to go in the spring.
    Hope that helps.

• myfamilysfarm
    14 years ago

Thanks, that helps me out for the labels for my tomatoes for next year. Hubby says he can get the Varathane easily.

• farmsteward
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the responses.

• jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
    14 years ago

You could make some nice labels by printing off the size label you want and attach it to a piece of scrap plastic mini-blinds. I use these all the time, I never have printed labels to put on them, but they work great with just a pencil.
    Best of all, they are free. I never pay for them I just tell people at work I am looking for broken white blinds and I get tons the next day.

• myfamilysfarm
    14 years ago

Jrslick, how long does the 'blind'tags print last? Hubby brought me some home and I didn't think the print would last very long, am I wrong? I need the print to last 3-4 months in the sun or greenhouse.

14 years ago

I don't know about the printing on a label and attaching it to the blind. I was just putting together herbgardeners label idea with what I do.

I write on my mini blinds with pencil. I could go out and pull out labels out of the garden today and they look just like they did when I wrote on them in February. Sharpie fades, pencil stays.

• myfamilysfarm
    14 years ago

Just regular #2 pencil?? Maybe I'll have to find those blinds, hope I didn't burn them. Might have to spend this winter cutting them to size. He brought home alot of them. They had an apartment remodel job that the blinds were too long.

14 years ago

Plan old pencil. I could go pull some out of the garden to show you, if you would like me to? I have tilled some under before and turned them up the following year and can still read what I planted in that location that previous year. I try to pull them out when I am cleaning up, but I always miss a few.

If you have lost them, craigslist, garage sales and even freecycle sites are good places to look for more blinds.

• herbgardener
    14 years ago

I didn't do labels that you stick IN the pot-I did labels that you stuck ON the pot. One was on one side which said what it was and on the other side was directions on where to plant it, how tall it got etc. Jrslick's idea is good too. I also did a booklet on the herbs and what to use them in and cooking ideas. It was a bit of an outlay in money but people did buy the herbs and gave them a try.

• myfamilysfarm
    14 years ago

As someone that doesn't know much about herbs, I'd love to see your booklet.

I also put the labels on the pot, but I've been waiting til them were ready to sell. The labels get nasty, if I don't wait. So I could put the stick in, to help remembering which variety, then place it pot label on.

• herbgardener
    14 years ago

Over the winter I got my labels ready to go in the spring-one less thing to do.
    Would love to sent you a copy of the booklet-not sure I can attach it but I know I can send it to your e-mail if you want. Just let me know
    Melissa

• myfamilysfarm
    14 years ago

thanks Melissa, my email is myfamilysfarm@yahoo.com.

• farmsteward
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Melissa, I'd like to see your booklet also. uwharrieheirlooms@yahoo.com.

• myfamilysfarm
    14 years ago

Melissa, thanks for the booklet. I have only opened 'thyme' and it looks very informative. May I copy and distribute to my customers? If not, that's ok. It is your work and I would need your permission not to get into the legal trouble.

• scw1950
    14 years ago

I would love to see your booklet. swyckoff@hughes.net

I order a waterproof label from onlinelabel.com. I print then hit with varathane and let dry! They look great and last.

• farmsteward
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for all the discussion on this post, but I'm still looking for a source of pot labels for laser printing. Any pointing in the direction of a vendor would be greatly appreciated.

• herbgardener
    14 years ago

Hi:
    Avery makes laser labels #6576 - they measure 1 3/4" X 1 1/4" and I found they fit perfectly on 4" square pots. Each sheet contains 32 labels
    I would still spray them with a varathane.
    Avery also has a website that you can download to make your labels.
    Good Luck.
    Melissa

• myfamilysfarm
    14 years ago

Labels can be either 'inkjet' or 'laser'. I don't find much difference. The laser ones are supposed to be easier to use in the laser printers. Avery makes both.

• herbgardener
    14 years ago

I don't have a laser printer and the laser labels smear unless sprayed with varathane. I could only find that size at Staples in laser so that's how I found out they smeared.

• myfamilysfarm
    14 years ago

Some ink smear easier than others. Someone, don't remember who, told me that the 'newer' inks don't smear as easy. This was a few years ago. I usually don't even look to see if I've picked up 'laser' or 'inkjet'. Another thing I buy at Sams.

• gardener1908
    14 years ago

I too would like a copy of your herb booklet if you don't mind. I plan on getting my herb plants out much earlier this year. I would be willing to send you some stamps or seeds like they do on seed exchange for your troubles. Thanks.

• herbgardener
    14 years ago

Hi gardener1908:
    My pleasure to send you a copy of the booklet - no need for the stamps or seeds but would appreciate your e-mail address to send it via that way.
    Thanks
    Melissa

• myfamilysfarm
    14 years ago

Melissa, I have printed off your booklet, and will use for information when I grow some herbs. I grow basil and started some sage this year. I need to start with the easier to grow herbs until I get comfortable growing them. I'm sure my customers would enjoy your booklet also.

• gponder
    14 years ago

Farmsteward, here's the product I started using this year. They make pot labels as well as various sizes of peel off labels. They held up beautifully this season and are very professional looking. This company sells a software product as well. It is not compatible with Mac so I don't use/need it. They offer a simple word template you can use for any of their products. They will send you samples if you call them. Good luck. If you have any questions, email me as I don't get to this site much. Glenda

Here is a link that might be useful: Plant Label Source

• jeff3298
    14 years ago

I have ordered labels from "Planet Label" several times and love the selection they have available. They will even send a sample sheet if youwant. They have every size and type of label you will need. I use them for BBQ Sauce bottles, seasonings, and rubs.

Good Luck
    Jeff

Here is a link that might be useful: PLANET LABEL

Sponsored
Carl Williamson Designs, LLC
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Nationally Acclaimed Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz