Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jayreynolds_gw

Taking a season 'off' suggestions

jayreynolds
17 years ago

I am working off the farm this year but have ~4000 ft of raised beds in perfect working order with well developed soil and irrigation setup. I'd like to get some suggestions for an easy-to-maintain crop which could be planted for a year or two to utilize this hard earned resource.

Ideally the crop would be easily maintained, profitable, easy to market, and allow removal for getting back into vegetable production.

Any ideas out there?

Comments (6)

• loodean
    17 years ago

My easiest and most profitable crop is winter storage onions. I, too, have raised beds  66 of them  all 4' X 25'. For onions, I went to the extra work of purchasing four-foot wide, heavy duty, non-woven landscape fabric (I like GCI the best). I then spent several long winter nights cutting holes in the fabric while in front of my favorite TV shows. I made a grid pattern first, with all holes 4" on center. The next row is offset, and so on. Each piece has 1154 holes. I started with 3 pieces, they all held up for 6 years. I still have one in good shape - going on 8 years! I will make several more this winter.

The reason I went to all this trouble is that there is absolutely no weeding, the onion plants are set precisely, and harvest is a breeze  just pull back the landscape fabric and most of the onions just pop out of the ground. I then spread them out on the hoophouse benches to finish drying until their necks are very tiny. All together, the planting, the harvest, and the cleaning take less than 5 days work over the whole season for about 600 pounds of onions  in just 300 square feet. The work could easily be done on the weekends. I found a source on the web for mesh produce bags at 18 cent a pop. I give a 10# bag to each of the CSA members, offer more as an Onion Share, and also sell them at the FarmerÂs Market. The best use I have found for them is to trade them with other vendors at the market for crops I donÂt want or canÂt grow well  sweet corn, winter squash, etc. Although I plant a few specialty varieties (red, torpedo, scallions, etc.) the major of them are Copra onions. Well-dried, stored in good conditions, they can last until the following May or June. I used the last one from the Â05 crop on July 4th this year. You might have to spent some time this winter lining up customers for the fall, but you might try contacting a local food co-op (or warehouse) and seeing if they would buy all of them them.

• starwoodfarm
    17 years ago

This is a good answer to his question. Thank you for the ideas!

• swampfarmer
    17 years ago

what about plant half in a cover and half in garlic then flip flop in year two? too late for this year but what about sunflowers for market and 50% in cover come spring? i am always dumbfounded by the popularity and prices gotten when in long stemmed bunches. good luck and enjoy your semi-hiatus.

• skagit_goat_man_
    17 years ago

Just be careful when you use the words easy and profitable in the same sentence. Tom

• tonytiller
    13 years ago

Is loodean still available? What is the diameter of your cut holes for large onions?

• boulderbelt
    13 years ago

loodean hasn't been here in around 4 years

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus