Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rustico_2009

What was it?

rustico_2009
11 years ago

In honor of allium season, I am finally getting around to asking you all this question:

Last year I bought 600 onion transplants from Dixondale.

One of them divided and grew about twelve little purple bulbs that looked like onions, but were shaped somewhat like a big single clove of garlic. They were extremely good to eat and beautiful to look at.

If I wanted to deliberately plant these things for market what do I look for?

Thanks.

Comments (10)

• myfamilysfarm
    11 years ago

sounds like a seed pod. that's what the 'winter' onions do.

• rustico_2009
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Maybe I should clarify,
    This was one of 600 plants, it was a red creole batch of transplants. The bulbs in question, and that which I would like to grow more of, were in the ground, like where an onion would be. It was planted in January,the best time to do short day onion transplants here. Most of the plants made nice onions, although too many of the red creole made doubles and/or bolted.

• sandy0225
    11 years ago

Could it have been a shallot that got mixed in there. We planted some holland red that kind of had that garlick appearance. Hopefully you saved some?

• rustico_2009
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry to say, Sandy, I did not save any. Do shallots make multiple bulbs from one plant? That's what I thought it was originally, but don't know much about the growth habits of shallots.

• boulderbelt
    11 years ago

Yes shallots form multiple bulbs from a single set and i agree it sounds like a red shallot, not an onion.

You wouldn't happen to have any photos of these would you?

• rustico_2009
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No photos, I really blew it on that account too.

• rustico_2009
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the comments. I went ahead and ordered some seeds, I'll start them in pots and plant out transplants in January.

I saw on Johnny's that some are "single bulb type" and others don't state anything about that. I got the ones that don't have comments hoping that they divide.

Do any of you have a preference for single bulb type or multiple bulb type? Any specific favorite variety?

• rustico_2009
    Original Author
    11 years ago

O.K. too bad I can't remove a post. I cancelled the Johnny's order because their seed probably doesn't produce at my latitude. False alarm.

Rustico:

In search of awesome shallots.

• sandy0225
    11 years ago

Yeah, the shallots we got were red holland, and you plant one and get a whole clump. They did pretty well considering I mulched them with some straw that was completely full of wheat and the wheat grew and took,over that part of the garden. I planted them in the fall, like the garlic. I bet when you got your garlic there was one mixed in there.

• rustico_2009
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I found some shallot sets at peaceful valley farm that will work at my latitude. They are french red... I am excited about trying them.

The Dixondale people said they don't really sell whatever I grew last year (or any shallots), so it could have been a accident of nature of some kind. The transplant came with red creole onions that did grow lots of onions split in the middle....nothing near like the plant that I have posted about here.

Thanks for the help!

Sponsored