Return to the Market Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
dealing with Whole Foods/Wegmans

Posted by mbrown297 (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 22, 04 at 12:29

We have two large upscale supermarkets near my home - Wegmans and Whole Foods. I have approached both of them about supplying heirloom tomatoes and both expressed some interest. I would like to know if anyone has experience selling to a large supermarket (pros and cons) and what is the supermarket markup on produce.
Thanks,
Mike

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: dealing with Whole Foods/Wegmans

I've delt with Whole Foods and unless you are large enough to afford five million dollar liability insurance and are willing to have their name on your insurance it just doesn't work out. At this point Whole Foods thinks local means grown in the United States.

We did some business with them (our local store) but when the paper work started arriving in Austin,TX the folks there put a stop to it. We met all their requirements - except the insurance. The local produce manager here was really excited to have our fresh, local, certified organic produce, but the people in TX wouldn't allow it without the insurance.

Some groceries have an umbrella policy that covers all local small (think smaller than Con-Ag) growers - thus enabling that store to in fact have really fresh local produce. Unfortunately, in my opinion, at this point Whole Foods talks the talk, but ignores the walk!

Hopefully things will change soon - it was really nice to take hundreds of pounds of heirloom tomatoes to a store AND be paid a fair price. And our farmers' market customers loved knowing they could get our heirloom tomatoes at Whole Foods during the week.(After they stopped buying from us we saw organic heirloom tomatoes at the WF store - they had been picked at first breaker and looked awful!)

It will be wonderful when more stores understand the importance of local, sustainable farming and really start supporting it! It is important that all customers ask their stores "where is the LOCAL produce" and if it is of good quality BUY IT!

Robbins - who now will step off her soap box and get out to cover the greens with row cover before it turns cold tomorrow.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Market Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here