Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hopflower_gw

Plant sales

hopflower
16 years ago

My garden club holds a Spring Plant Sale every year and I was wondering if anyone could offer me suggestions as to what would be good sellers. If you came as a customer to this event, what would you be looking for in any of herbs, flowers, vegetables, or ornamentals?

Comments (9)

• debby_1
    16 years ago

I am always looking for good deals on perennials and herb plants. I live in an area that has a lot of greenhouses that offer annuals so I usually get those there.
    Debby

• bigred
    16 years ago

I sold lots of potted perennials this passed season. Biggest perennial sellers were,grower gallons and full gallons of:coneflowers,liatris,daylilies,hostas,ferns and cuphea.Pretty much in that order of popularity. I think I could have sold a lot more hydrangeas had I had more in bloom. I did sell a lot of 4" coleus and ornamental sweet potato vine but I had to compost so many ornamental annuals this year it wasn't worth it to grow them so I won't do any more for this coming market and put more energy and money in veggies starts. There's a big surge of gardeners planting for butterlies and caterpillars so I have lots of seeds to start for host and nector plants for'08. Hanging basket(over grown and root bound) sold great for another vendor but I don't have the means to transport hanging baskets.I tried combo planters but couldn't get a decent price for them so no more for next year.

I'll double or triple my 4" basils for this coming season and add more varities.

PP

• softmentor
    16 years ago

This may sound simplistic, but what ever grows well for you. Quality, attractive plants always sell the best. If they grow well for you, then they will look nice.
    People will get to know you are the *fill in the plant name* person and will look for your selections again and again.
    And, of course, you will have the pleasure of growing something you like to grow.

• trianglejohn
    16 years ago

I think that most plant purchases are on impulse - so having a nice display of healthy plants will usually attract customers. People love fragrance too. I think I sell more herbs by letting people touch them and smell them than blooming plants.

What really matters is how many customers are you going to have. If you know that info you can grow the assortment and type of plants you'll need. But honestly, I've been selling plants for years and I've never seen a pattern - what they buy changes from week to week.

• hitexplanter
    16 years ago

When is your spring sale? This will dictate some of what you would grow also look for a few unusual plants from your members that you can do cuttings or collect seed from. Don't forget good signage (descriptive and fun:) with pix if possible. Many of the coolest plants are not easy to have them look mature and in full bloom unless you have the proper environment to grow them out.
    Have several members work on growing some of their favorites. Their passion for these plants will help with the sales and after all garden clubs sales are not a business but a passion so let your passion show. Enjoy this event as a community interactive display of what you as garden club members grow in your own spaces.
    Passion, great information about the plants and quality healthy looking plants whatever they are, are the main keys to a successful event of this nature in my humble opinion.
    Happy Growing David

• piranha338
    16 years ago

Something that might be a big seller are dogwoods. I have a few trees in my yard and they're easy to tart by air-layering. Might have to sell them in spring of '09 tho. Another one might be Amyrillys(sp?) My mom just got a double white and it has 3 stalks with 6 flowers on each. Our best yet! Good luck!

Brian

P.S. What city is your sale in? I live in the bay area and might be interested

• hopflower
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks everyone. It is in April, and usually is held about the same time each year within a couple of weeks or so. We have had it for years, but I like to get new information or input from potential customers everywhere. There are trends, and beyond the usual tomato and pepper starts, there are many other plants to be considered that might be popular if offered.

• HerbLady49
    16 years ago

Dear Hopflower,

Whatever you sell, I have always found that a picture is worth a thousand words. Many or your perennials or herbs won't be in flower at the time of sale. Get your group together and print out nice pics of these plants in flower. Laminate them and put them on a small sign by every group of plants. If you can, put info on them. They will be your invisible salesman, and save you alot of time explaining. Trust me, I've done this for years and it works.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Garden Travels

• hopflower
    Original Author
    16 years ago

We do that each year, updating those that need replacement or for those that did not have one. But thank you, herblady49, for the thought and trying to help. :)