Mini Pepper and Cucumbers

herbgardener
14 years ago

Thinking of growing mini peppers next year:

Sweet Cherry

Mini Chocolate Bell

Mini Red Bell

Doe Hill

Has anyone grown any of these and your comments would be appreciated. Are they prolific - read that Doe Hill is.

Thinking of also growing cucumbers:

Boothy' Blonde

Lemon

Chrystal Apple

Richmond Green Apple

Tondo Liscio

Carosello Mezzo Lungo

Anyone grown any of the above. Which are prolific and do they have alot of seeds. Which types not listed do you really like.

Also what about Agretti?

Thanks so much your comments are really appreciated

Comments (5)

• jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
    14 years ago

I guess I don't understand why people would buy or why people raise the mini peppers. Nobody wants to buy small bell peppers at our markets, I know they wouldn't want to buy a basket full of them. If you can sell them, more power to you? What do your customers do with them?

As far as the cucumbers go, I have grown the Lemon, Richmond and Crystal apple. The richmond was a green lemon and the crystal was a whitish lemon and the lemon is yellow. I found it was easy to sell the lemon, but not the other two. I found the lemon to be the most productive of the three. They all have the same amount of seeds, just smaller when the cucumber is small.

I like the lemon the best. It grows best on the ground and not on a trellis, at least that is my findings.

Jay

• herbgardener
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Jay:
    I am going to talk to my two customers tomorrow to see if they are interested in the mini peppers. I am hoping that they can stuff them and using for appetizers and also the chef does a muse bouche. So I am hoping he could incorporate them into that.
    With regards to the cucumbers I was thinking of three or more around the same size but different colours so that they could use them on an veggie platter. The caterer was interested in them but was asking about seed size.
    Thanks for the input.
    Anybody tried Agretti??

• gardener1908
    14 years ago

I grew a mini bell mixture this year, pretty decent output. About the only use I can see for these is for stuffing, good for a caterer or chef, but I think at market you would have to appeal to the customers who like to cook and entertain.

• teauteau
    14 years ago

Hi hg,
    I grew mini orange bells (were supposed to be mini yellow bells). The plants were slow to bear but by August were bearing a plethora of cute little orange bell peppers about the size of key lime, some a bit smaller. They tasted sweet and citrusy but while my customers would pick them up and ogle them, few bought them. I had to tell them what to do with them. I'm thinking next year when I grow them, I'll can them as pickles. They are kind of neat stuffed with cream cheese or tuna or chicken salad and look great if your a party-thrower. I also grew sweet cherries and hot cherries. No interest around here (Kansas City area) in them but that could just be my area. I ended up canning some of the hot cherry peppers from a recipe I found on line and boy did they turn out great. Hot and spicy at first but the heat doesn't linger so they're not uncomfortable to eat at all. Everyone liked them and they have such a nice bright red color. Just my 2¢.
    T

• wackybell
    14 years ago

I grow mini's a few years ago. My comments are about the same as the others. I would also add that I would call this type of vegetable a "table filler" meaning that you don't sell a lot but it fills a hole on your table. After a few years I started growing "table filler" vegetables that are cheaper to grow. i.e. they are direct seeded so they don't have any greenhouse transplant time added unto cost of production.

An example of a "table filler" vegetable would include: swiss chard, russain kale, radiccho fennel. People ask what is this and what do I do with it. And while you are standing there doing your sales pitch, they will also buy the cukes toms broccoli etc.

Get the idea of having the unique veggies at your stand?

Sponsored