Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jrslick

First Winter Market, 2012

We had our first winter market last Saturday, the first Saturday of the Month. Even though the outdoor markets last day was 3 days prior.

Here is what our booth looked like prior to start time.

We had 40 feet of table space. We had the largest selection of greens there. We had Jams and Jellies, tomatoes, Cherry tomatoes, carrots, Cilantro, haikuri turnips, Daikon radishes, 4 colors of radishes, 2 types of Kale, Swiss Chard, Salad Mix, Tokoyo Bekana, 5 types of Summer Crisp lettuce, Romaine, Garlic, 2 colors of sweet potatoes, and Bok Choy.

I was disappointed in the sales for the day. I brought home more than I sold. We have been handing out reminder cards at the markets, but I later found out that no one was running ads in the paper or put up signs around town.

For our market on December 1st, I am planning on taking flyers to distribute in local schools (I used to teach at them) and other places. I am thinking about putting a coupon for $1 off with a $10 purchase, good idea?

We will have even more produce for the next winter market. Napa Cabbage, Red Bok Choy, Green Onions, Mustard Greens Arugula, Yellow Carrots, and Tuscano Kale.

How are your winter markets going?

Jay

Comments (7)

• cole_robbie
    11 years ago

I wish I had a winter market. What's your location like? I would think that you need a place people already go to.

• myfamilysfarm
    11 years ago

I've used a punch card for a discount after so many $$s spent. Worked ok, but took more time. If you're not real busy, might be a good idea, be sure to put an expiration date on them.

• randy41_1
    11 years ago

tomorrow is the first market day we don't have enough stuff to go since february. our market is all year round. should be back to it by next week.
    the coupon idea sounds good. are there many other vendors there?

• jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We had about 20 to 25 other vendors. People with produce, we had another vendor and friend with just about as much stuff as me, one other small vender with one table and a small high tunnel, one small vender with produce outside under low tunnels (will come back one more time and call it quits). The remaining vendors have meats, cheeses, honey, baked goods, soaps and hand made stuff.

Our location is inside a very nice building at the fairgrounds/ City Park, about 2 blocks from the Wednesday market location. The regular Saturday market on the other side of town.

We have so much stuff right now that we could do a weekly market until early December.

Jay

• randy41_1
    11 years ago

with that many vendors you'd expect a good turn out. can you put a sign up at the 'regular' location about the winter location?

• 2fennelshirts
    11 years ago

Our first winter market was really BAD !! The market is held at a low income/senior/disabled apartment building with 175 residents. Not much advertising here either. I think that the people that show up are the ones that are just walking around for something to do. I brought 6 kinds of winter squash, red potatoes to buy by the lb. I even brought one lb bags of mixed (red, white, and purple) potatoes for $1 a bag thinking about the low income people. I also brought leeks, red/white/yellow onions, some bags of smaller mixed onions for $1, brussels, red cabbage (smaller heads). I had plans of bringing 2 kinds of kale but the deer jumped the fence and ate all 150 huge plants also all the swiss chard and beets. I'm glad I didn't have to waste my time on the kale, chard and beets for nothing. There were around 100 people that came and looked around (very few from the outside public). This place is Not the place for a winter market !! My high tunnel stuff won't be ready enough until Jan. bc of my late start. My DH has been in Pittsburg, KS for one week now (one week to go yet) white tail hunting (his 3rd year in a row). he called yesterday and said it was very windy and HOT (80) there, I wish I could wiggle my nose and get that heat to switch to here where it has been in the low 30's at nite and mid 40's in the day with 20 plus mph wind and NO sun. Makes my want to go to KS with him and visit Jay's farm while DH hunts. Back to our winter market - - - - WE NEED A NEW LOCATION, LOCATION IS ALMOST EVERYTHING !! OK, LOCATION IS EVERYTHING !!
    DEB

• myfamilysfarm
    11 years ago

Deb, if I could send a bit of our 70 from yesterday to you, I would. Another 70 day today, but will be the last one til spring, per weatherman. After today's high, temps will be dropping into the 20s by Monday night.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler