Return to the Market Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Egg eating rampage

Posted by rustico_2009 (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 13, 12 at 14:19

Poor me, My chickens are on an egg eating rampage. I am doing some trial and error with roll away sub-floors. The hens are going after each others eggs while laying eggs and I am not sure some are not keeping their own eggs from rolling down...some kind of soccer game or something where they get to eat the ball. Do they do that?

It looks like the area the roll away to is going to have to block the chickens from dragging the eggs out somehow. These girls are serious about raw eggs. I have them on layer pellets and extra oyster shell.

Wish me luck and if you have any advice or encouragement I am all ears.
I'm afraid any modifications are going to create some other kind of unsuitable behavior.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Egg eating rampage

Maybe this article will help. Some people had good luck with fake eggs - golf balls or wooden eggs. Someone else said to fill a partially broken egg with cayenne pepper and leave it for them to try.

Here is a link that might be useful: article

o

There are 24 nesting boxes. The new roll away parts are a tilted false bottom. I may screw a golf ball or a false egg of some sort in the middle of each false bottom to discourage the habit of hunting for eggs. Thanks.

o

There are 24 nesting boxes. The new roll away parts are a tilted false bottom. I may screw a golf ball or a false egg of some sort in the middle of each false bottom to discourage the habit of hunting for eggs. Thanks.

o

we got ceramic eggs that we put in the nest boxes but that doesn't always work. collecting eggs frequently works.

o

I am not counting on the fake ones to work at stopping them from wanting eggs. The eggs will all be on roll-away soon. The idea is if the fake ones don't roll away they can attack them all day and hopefully that will help them lose the interest in going after each others eggs before they are even laid. Been collecting eggs as much as five times a day and it's been getting worse!They are stalking the boxes a lot.

o

It looks like the egg roll aways are working. I culled one bird that was dragging the eggs out from under the cover. I did not get around to fake eggs yet and may not since it is working.

I'm still getting the eggs out as often as I can, but if the rampage is over, once a day in cool weather may work out, twice on hot days. Laying has dropped off too, due to shorter days. Still getting about 4 dozen a day from 98 birds.

Next time I ever build a flock the nesting boxes will have rollaway floors from the start.

o

egg roll always work

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Market Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here