Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
frogy_gw

garlic

frogy
19 years ago

hello,i put my garlic in during the 3rd week of october as normal(im in zone 4)well do to the waermer temps this year the cloves are shooting up all ready. I will be mulching with staw this week.Is that enoph to protect the shoots from the freeze??Im kinda worried about them.i put in 11,000 cloves this year ,allot of time and energy invested in my garlic beds,so i want to enshure success.anny advice annyone has would be great.thanks for the help.

shannon

Comments (5)

• garliclady
    19 years ago

They should be fine. Over in the allium forum you will find several zone 4 growers that have many years experience and will all say cold will not hurt them. Here in NC I am still planting but some of mine have already come up 6-8 inches. We often get alot of growth during the fall and winter. We hardly ever get below zero but when we do the garlic is fine. It will be a couple more weeks before I get my 30,000 plus cloves in the ground so I do know the time and hard work you put into it. Don't worry things will be fine and I hope you have a wonderful summer harvest.
    The Garlic Lady

• mark_brown
    19 years ago

WOW!!!!!, Garlic lady, 30,000!! Just wondering what is your spacing for garlic?

Mark

• garliclady
    19 years ago

Our spacing in six inches (eight for elepant shallots and kettle river giant) . I have a six inch planting board with marks every six inches and an eight inch with marks every eight inches. I usually get 6 across each bed (4 for the eight inch varieties) our beds are about 4 foot wide and 100- 150 feet long. We leave about 3 feet between each bed. So we get alot of garlic in very little space. Which means less to mulch and less to weed.
    The garlic lady

• frogy
    Original Author
    19 years ago

i get 6 or 7 rows across with 100ft beds.next year we will be adding 4 new beds.peace

• adrianag
    19 years ago

This is slightly off-topic, but here is a FABULOUS garlic recipe:

MARINATED GARLIC

30 cloves garlic, peeled*
    1/2 cup olive oil
    1/4 cup lemon juice
    1/4 cup white wine vinegar (I use Champagne vinegar)
    Salt and pepper to taste
    4 sprigs fresh oregano or 1/2 tsp dried

Blanch the whole cloves of garlic in boiling water for 5 minutes; remove, and plunge into cold water. Drain and dry off the garlic.

Mix the remaining ingredients (except the fresh oregano sprigs) in a blender until emulsified. If using dried oregano toss it in with the oil and vinegar.

Put the cloves in a jar and cover with the marinade, tuck the sprigs of oregano into the jar. Cover and allow it to marinate for at least 5 days in the refrigerator. Serve as is for a snack or side dish or add to a green salad.

Don't be surprised if a couple of people polish off the whole batch in one sitting! I had tried several other marinated garlic recipes before this one and was not happy with the results. This one is perfect!

*NOTE: You can double the garlic cloves and will still have enough dressing to cover. The marinade makes a fantastic salad dressing after you use up the garlic.

Sponsored