Return to the Market Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best cucumber varieties for a market?

Posted by deanriowa 4b (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 11, 07 at 16:00

I am looking for a couple of good cucumber varieties to grow for a small discount store willing to offer some limited produce. What varieties do you grow and why?

I would like a good producer as well and also one that holds well.

thanks,
Dean

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best cucumber varieties for a market?

Do they want all slicers or would take a combination of slicers and picklers? In many situations, customers prefer the smaller pickler types for salads and other fresh uses. Lots of good picklers available. For a longer setting period choose a monoecious.

A nice slicer on a more restricted vine is 'Fanfare'. Would require some repeat sowing as the sets can be kind of concentrated.

o

I have found Lemon cucumbers to sell well to repeat customers, even as a "specialty" type cuke. Produce customers often buy what they know, so offering free samples helps. Lemon cukes are sweet, never bitter. Since they are round, even the small ones toward the end of the season can be packaged together as bite sized cucumbers for salads, etc. I harvest them right after all of the spines turn black.

o

My favorite slicer is the Amira or Babylon, both a sweet never bitter,no need to peal cucumber. These are great early cucumbers and for a late season cuke I look at marketmore cuke.

o

I raise pickling cucumbers and sell wholesale as well as retail. MY favorite pickling cukes are Regal from Harris Seeds. Cross Country from Stokes and Eureka which is available from several seed companies. Since I hand pick my cucumbers it is important that the cucumbers grow over the entire summer. My favorite slicing cucumber is General Lee. My market wants a smaller more slender slicer . General Lee is perfect for my market. Good Luck.
Linda

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Market Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here