Return to the Market Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Market Stall Pictures

Posted by jrslick KS/5 (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 2, 11 at 16:29

I almost never get a chance to take pictures of our market stand in the summer. We are usually sooo busy, we are just lucky to get the produce on the table.

So at the last market, it started off very slow, so I took a few pictures. I also got a few picture from another market I attend.

I was missing some table cloths, (got left at home), but I think it still looked nice.

Photobucket

Opposite direction
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Another Market
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

The season is over, but the online market and winter market season is really picking up!

Jay

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Market Stall Pictures

Gorgeous!

o

Here are the tomatoes and cherry tomatoes.

Photobucket

o

Looks fantastic. I checked out your website - very nice, that butternut squash and bacon dish looks amazingly tasty.

o

Jay,
Your stuff always looks so cool! I really enjoy reading your posts and your produce and jellies look awesome. It makes me proud to see another Kansas farmer representing our state so well. So proud of you Jay! We are on our second order of jars as our jelly business is doing well here in KC. I have lots of competition so I concentrate on the unusual blends. Hoping to have a good year next year. Keep up the good work Jay!

o

Very nice, good signage, nice supplemental info pages. Love the slanted baskets. I have tried setting that up before but I need someone to build me a cool system.

I am intrigued by the along the sidewalk market. I never though about that before. Usually you see markets in a parking lot not set up horizontally so to speak. That opens new areas to being the market location.

My one comment, not really a suggestion, is that market books say to try to use less plastic and more wood baskets and that customers buy more that way. They prefer the natural containers.

o

Thanks for all the nice comments. I would like to set up a nice display with wood baskets and the such, but it gets to be a time and space issue. When you are a one man show, you have to make choices.

My tomatoes are always in the plastic tubs. During the busy summer, I am usually swapping out those tubs every 15-30 minutes to a full one. Doesn't make sense to make the set up look pretty.

I probably use too many plastic bags for produce and I know that it is just what I have to do to keep everything looking fresh prior to market. During the school year, I have to load up everything prior to school in coolers. The bags make that possible.

Teauteau, Thanks! I am glad the jars are working out for you too!

Jay

o

Square containers fit into a vehicle easier than the round baskets. After you get to a certain volume, you have to think about 'how to get more' into your travel vehicle. Some people don't have to worry about it, either by having a big enough vehicle, or not having enough sales to need to have more.

Marla

o

Oh believe me it takes me the entire set up time to make things pretty! Then I get a ton of compliments but not all those people buy. I am aiming for a certain kind of customer though and they trust me and buy from me. Indeed I am always still finishing up when the bell rings!
Also our market does not sell per pound so we have to take from whatever vessel you transport in and put things into till baskets. Most of the other vendors will fill a few from a half or bushel basket and then leave the basket behind the till baskets and fill as needed. The two larger farmers next to me use a lot of plastic bins; one uses a lot of trugs. I use banana boxes for transport and then put out everything into squat baskets or crates or whatever.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Market Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here