Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
slimy_okra

How would you invest $25K?

Slimy_Okra
11 years ago

Let's say you had access to $25K on the condition it was all invested in materials or activities related to your farm. What would you use it for?

Comments (14)

• myfamilysfarm
    11 years ago

greenhouse, tractor, tiller for tractor, soil tests and appropriate fertilizers.

Are you giving it away??????

website might be a good idea, also.

• magz88
    11 years ago

Greenhouse, manure, new canopy, funds toward a better transportation vehicle, irrigation

• cole_robbie
    11 years ago

I'm building a 18x48 high tunnel right now and hoping to come in under $1,000 in costs, and then beyond that I'm also hoping to grow $2,000 worth of tomatoes in it. Provided that all of this works, it would make my answer to your question be that I'd build 25 high tunnels that would make me $50k every year.

• rustico_2009
    11 years ago

Garage and walk-in cooler.

• randy41_1
    11 years ago

walk in cooler; another high tunnel; better irrigation system; front end loader for my tractor; certifiable kitchen; climate controlled processing facility (for washing spinning and bagging); a large leaf vacuum/shredder. that should hold me for a while. well, this is > 25k.

• boulderbelt
    11 years ago

I would run water into my packing shed/store building and put in a bathroom (and than be about 80% ready to get the building certified), walk in cooler, greenhouse and perhaps a few hoophouses and if there is anything leftover a new barn roof

• rustico_2009
    11 years ago

Actually, a friend just gave my family a little more than what we are talking about. I paid off some debt left over from building a rental house. But next time someone gives me $25K... I'll know better what to do!

• jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
    11 years ago

I didn't even think about a packing shed and walk in cooler. Those items would be very nice too.

Jay

• brookw_gw
    11 years ago

All of the suggestions are indeed "right on." However, the number one tool used on my farm is my 4 wheeler. I use it endlessly year round for everything you can think of. By far, it is the most reliable machine I've ever owned. I bought this OLD Honda Foreman Rubicon years ago. It pulls like a tractor, can go anywhere, has never once failed to start, requires no maintenance, and has saved my decrepit old body much grief. I've had that thing for about 7 years now. It has not used one drop of oil and still has the original battery!!! I've pulled down trees, pulled up stumps, moved hay bales, spread lime and fertizer, sprayed, marked, moved telephone poles through woods to make a bridge, hauled countless tons of wood, produce, mulch, rock, hauled out at least 30 deer, hoisted, plowed, planted, smoothed, rolled, entertained, cooked meals, made the bed,and caught fish. It's a lot of fun too! Like anything though, you've gotta respect these machines. A lot of folks get hurt on them.

• myfamilysfarm
    11 years ago

Brook, you're right, but until you have one and used it, you don't realize how much you miss it when it's broke.

• brookw_gw
    11 years ago

New ones aren't cheap, that's for sure. However, if you do your homework, you can pick one up for a reasonable price. I have several pieces of equipment I pull behind mine, the cart being endlessly used. They now make just about everything you need to farm w/one if you don't have a tractor.

• dirtdigging101
    11 years ago

Well as long as we are pipe dreaming i will go for 600 feet of 8 feet high fence to enclose 1/2 acre. Then enough quality compost for 3 inches over most of it.

• sandy0225
    11 years ago

I would rent some more land, and set aside the rest to hire some spring help

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area