Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
herbgardener

Fillet Beans

herbgardener
14 years ago

I am already planning next season and would appreciate some suggestions for some really nice fillet beans. Either bush or pole and prolific

Thanks

Comments (7)

• carlw
    14 years ago

I would only grow Maxibels. I get mine from Johnny's. You will have to replant about every 2 to 3 weeks to keep quality at it's highest. It is worth it. Pick them small under pencil size for best quality with zero seed formation.

good luck

• ekgrows
    14 years ago

I grow Maxibel bush beans too - I believe fedco sells them as well. I'm tempted to try Masai (sp?) this year, as they are supposed to hold better on the plants, so hopefully I wouldn't have to pick every day. I also grow Fortex, which is a pole bean.

• canuckistani
    14 years ago

Why do you have to replant them every few weeks? Is the first batch better than later pods for some reason? Is it the same with snow/snap peas?

• ekgrows
    14 years ago

I have found after a couple weeks of picking, they start to change. Instead of being long and thin, they are curved and have hollow necks and fat bottoms. Not sure why this happens, as I have yet to research it, but I have found it to be pretty consistent with older bush bean plants.

I have not experienced this with the fortex pole beans. You can pick nice, thin beans all season long. You should really give fortex a try.

• hogsbackfarm
    14 years ago

2009 was my first year growing Masai and it is my new favorite bean, filet or otherwise. They held in the field forever. I grow for CSA so I want one picking, when I have the labor to pick. Masai made me be able to not have to worry about them getting too big. I hate having to stop what we're doing on Monday and pick the Provider because they're getting too big. Their ability to hold also lets you wait until the maximum amount of beans have sized, so that we were getting almost half a pound per row foot at our one picking.

My customers loved the quality, but this is the only filet we've grown. I'm not going for super-uniform small beans, more like a junior green bean and in that department these really delivered.

• herbgardener
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I would really like to try Masai but am unable to find a supplier up here in Canada. Found them at Vermont Seed but they do not ship up here. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks

• hogsbackfarm
    14 years ago

I get Masai from Fedco, but they don't ship to Canada either...

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!