Return to the Market Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shallots

Posted by bucks 9 Arizona (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 15, 12 at 18:40

I am thinking about growing these to sell and I know nothing about them. I have had good luck with my garlic and onion sales, but I just do not know what kind of demand there is for Shallots. I also do not know where I need to be on pricing as I sell everything buy the pound. I get $5 for garlic and $2 for my onions right now to my coops that I sell to. However I was told by one coop that they could buy onions for $.76 a pound! Funny though some of the customers perferred mine. It is just tough going up against the bigger guys shipping to Arizona from California.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shallots

For me, shallots are a specialty item that will either be hit or miss. I plant a few lbs every year and always sell out. You can plant them either spring or fall. Unlike garlic, shallots seem to do as well spring planted as they do in the fall--at least in my experience. I experimented w/leeks on a fairly large scale this year and also sold out of them. It can never hurt to plant a few as a test and adjust that amount in the future.

o

I just ordered 5lbs of shallot bulb sets for southern California growing, other vendors say they plant them year round. These are french red. I'd like to grow them from seed but have not found them yet for my latitude.

o

I retail them @ $3.00 per pint at market and always sell out. 2 years ago I began to grow a lot more and began selling at produce auctions where I dont do nearly as well but get about 1-2$$s per quart. still kinda profitable but not nearly as nice as retail! I only grow the larger dutch types now.

o

My shallots for planting arrived. I am breaking the bulbs apart to plant them and getting concerns. Most of the dried root stays with one section while the other is pure exposed meat of the scallion.Looks destructive? Is this how it goes?
Maybe they are not supposed to be broken down to every single clove like garlic?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Market Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here