Return to the Market Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shrimp aquaculture

Posted by veggievicki 7b (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 27, 12 at 19:30

Here is an interesting link on shrimp in an aquaculture system. Sorry for starting a new thread, but since i was the last to post in the fish thread, it wouldn't let me add this link.

Here is a link that might be useful: shrimp aquaculture

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shrimp aquaculture

If you add a character to the posting line, you can add. Just FYI.

o

I think the dissolved oxygen level in the pond would be the limiting factor on population size. The more a pond is aerated, the more it can support. It's the same with fish.

o

I went to a couple of workshops about this and found one thing you have to do is put in new ponds as most ponds are not the right dimensions for shrimp farming and would have to be drained and redug (plus you cannot use the pond for anything else so if you like a stocked pond for fishing you would need an additional pond)

o

Maybe that's the reason that the guy in our area is using big swimming pools. that would make sense.

o

One guy uses big vats. Same as talapia tanks. But he puts these things in that are like screens because the shrimp are territorial and don't like to school like fish. So they need to be sort of divided up. The negative I read was the shrimp don't poop enough for the plants, so better to have both fish and shrimp. Kind of like at Captain D's. Fish and Shrimp. LOL.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Market Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here