Return to the Market Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what to grow, what not to grow

Posted by randyinmissouri missouri (randywybrant@hotmail.com) on
Sun, Nov 14, 04 at 21:27

i have a great spot for a vegatable stand. Right behind a busy country store. i have about 1/2 acre to work with. i have blackberries, rhubarb, asparagus, strawberries, raspberries, bush cherries, gooseberries. Of course i'm going to grow tomatoes, greenbeans, corn and peppers. i'm concedering taking out my fruit trees to plant more blackberries and strawberries. the yeild is just so much higher. even my asparagus and rhubarb look like a waste of space. the bush cherries also look like a waste also. I know variety is good. but space is limited. the goose berries and raspberries don't look good yeild wise, but the plants and cuttings from the gooseberries make them more profitable.

what do you think

randy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what to grow, what not to grow

The yield is only a tiny part of the story. We find that wahat matters most is how much labor goes into each crop. For example, we can't make any money on green beans unless we charge $4/pound. The nice thing about asparagus and rhubarb is that all you have to do is show up and pick them, and maybe add nutrients and weed once a season. Berries need to be weeded, pruned, and possibly managed for disease. Depending on the fruit trees, they might take a lot or a little work. I wouldn't rip out any established perennial plants until you have gone a seson or two keeping track of the time that you spend on them. Also, consider what others around you can offer: anybody with a backyard garden can grow tomatoes and corn, but perennial crops are something special and expensive to establish, so they are more rare. Berry crops, expecially, don't travel well, so yours are likely to be better quality and possibly even less expensive than buying those little clamshells at the grocery store. That's what you want to draw in customers: something that they can't get anywhere else. Then they'll buy other stuff while they're there.

Katey

o
RE: what to grow, what not to grow

Katey,
That's excellant advise for just about anyone, growing anything! Thanks.
Cheryl

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Market Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here