Return to the Market Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Idea's for Late May and June....

Posted by Buckster z8 (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 12, 04 at 22:09

Howdy All,

I sell most of my fruit in late May and June into July. I'm looking for ideas for this time of year. Mainly the late May early June time. I've been thinking about tomatoes but would like other idea's. I want something that's a good seller but has to be able to get by the frost. I grow in So. Cal. zone 8. I do grow some flowers also.

Hey thanks a ton all,

Bucky

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Idea's for Late May and June....

I assume you already have blueberries?

How about salad greens? Cucumbers?

o

You might have to start your tomatoes early, and choose early varieties for May fruit, but it can be done. Beans, if started early, and early varieties chosen again, for the first flush of production, might be good. For later production, there's a variety, Dragons Tongue (flat yellow, purple blotches, purple disappears in cooking), that is one of the best tasting beans going. You might be able to grow peas for the May period - I find that the snow and sugar peas can take more heat then the "English" shelling peas.

As far as flowers go, do you get enough winter cold for peonies? There probably are a bunch more flowers, but not knowing your climate, you might do better to go and ask the cutting forum for advice; they are good about it!

o

Hey Dibbit,

Thanks for the info. You and I have pretty similar climate. Also you understand I'm a market gardner too. I've posted this question on other forum's and gotten alot of different responses.

I'm really trying to target this time of year because this is when I get 95% of my customers so I'm trying to FIT things into this time of year. I'm playing around with alot of things and open to all idea's

Thanks a ton,
Bucky

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Market Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here