Return to the Market Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Promoting our Winter Market

Posted by jrslick KS/5 (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 25, 12 at 23:54

Hello,

I was wanting to know what other ways, other than word of mouth, that I can promote our winter market coming up this Saturday. Our market manager quit at the end of October, so she isn't doing anything. The market president and secretary are suppose to put ads out in the paper, but I am not sure if it is being done. They are both very nice people, but sometimes they just don't get things done.

I use to be the voluntary Facebook page manager and I would promote it that way, but the old market manager took over the admin rights and she won't talk to me about giving them back to me. We have 1600-1700 "friends" so I know we could reach them, if she would do it or let me do it. She also took down the market website.

I am sending out emails to everyone I know in the town and asking them to share the information with everyone they know. I have posted the information on every Craigslist page I could. I have asked for the information to be included on every community page/information on every newspaper and radio station around.

I am thinking about making a huge sign, 4 feet by 8 feet, that says "FARMERS MARKET TODAY" with an Arrow and the name of the building it is at at the corner of the busy street and the street it is on.

I know all these things should be getting done by someone else, but I can't afford to have another poor winter market day. It is suppose to be a wonderful day, weather wise, but we need customers!

Any ideas would be nice.

Thanks,

Jay

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Promoting our Winter Market

Dealing with those management issues can't be easy.

Be careful not to step on any toes with the sign. There are often a lot of city codes regarding signs and their placement. Signs that are either held in the hands of a pedestrian or attached to a moving vehicle tend to be exempt from those rules. The Little Caesar's pizza in my town hires a guy to dance around an intersection while waving their sign. He's been there for years. They also sometimes pull a big sign on a trailer on busy roads. Campaigning politicians like that trick, too.

o

I guess all I had to do is wait. The market manager finally gave me admin rights back on the Facebook site, yea!

About the sign, we have a sign there already, we are just at an indoor location, one block south. It is going to be a nice day, maybe I can have my wife and kids stand out there and wave signs.

Jay

o

I like that idea. Make them wear high-vis yellow safety vests. It makes them safe and more noticeable.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Market Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here