Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jrslick

Building a tunnel over a tunnel

We have started putting up our new high tunnel this week. We are building it over the existing tunnel because we are still harvesting crops inside it. We also wanted to get the ground posts in before the ground freezes. Also, we wanted to get the hoops up when the wind wasn't blowing. We had to carry the hoops over the existing tunnel and if they were to fall over and land on the tunnel, it would rip the plastic and cause lots of problems. We were lucky to have my brother in law Derek come out and help us.

I spent 1-2 hours measuring and squaring up the area. Then two nights setting the ground posts. Then finally one more night putting up the hoops and purlins.

Hoop C

{{gwi:289872}}

Hoop C with New Tunnel over it.

{{gwi:311294}}

New Home for Hoop C

Next up, install base board, hip boards, and end walls. Cover the endwalls with plastic or old storm windows and then prepare for plastic to be pulled over it.

Looks like a busy Christmas Break for us!

Comments (9)

• randy41_1
    13 years ago

at what point do you move c? here's hoping you get some cooperative weather.

• jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hmmm, that is a good question. Here is the plan.

Finish new tunnel, pull plastic over the new tunnel and then start to disassemble Hoop C. This way we can work in a "Climate Controlled" structure. If we do it this way we can work at a slower more relaxed pace.

Jay

• myfamilysfarm
    13 years ago

I notice that the new one is alot taller than hoop C, I hope you have taken in the extra wind that the new one will catch. I seems much much taller.

Of course, with more hoop space, you will grow more, and therefore you will have more to sell, and be busier at the market. I hope your crew is up to it.

Marla

Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes we have. We have set the posts 4.5 feet deep and set the corners in concrete.

We are going to be planting tomatoes in this building this year. We will have more to sell, but I am hopeful that we will be able to pick up a few restaurant accounts for tomatoes. We will have to see.

Jay

• myfamilysfarm
    13 years ago

I had restaurants at one time, but gave them up. The restaurants did not want to pay enough to make it worth my time. They expected to pay 1/2 of what I was selling at the market. Now I just sell by the pound or bulk buys if someone wants 20 pounds or more. I only discount by 50 cents per pound.

Marla

• brookw_gw
    13 years ago

I simply would not be in business without one of my restaurants. It's true I don't get retail, but the ease of simply delivering an order makes it worthwhile. Then again, I might not feel that way if we had a decent market.

Brook

Original Author
    13 years ago

Brook,

I feel as if I am starting to get close to the max I can sell at my markets. Not only with produce, but with the amount I can prep, pick and sell. Now if others have crop failures, that changes the game. I am looking to work on a few local restaurants this next year and see if we can get something to work. I am thinking this will be a two year process.

Jay

• brookw_gw
    13 years ago

I have a wonderful upscale restaurant that has its own gardens but buys literally tons of my goods. It advertises as buying local and is highly touted. He advertises my business extensively and puts my farm's name all over his menu. It is the best relationship I have with any customer. He calls me up, asks what I've got, and I simply pick and deliver it. I've had nothing but compliments from them. Other restaurants mainly buy my fruit for their pies. I call them up, tell them what I have, and deliver. There couldn't be an easier way of moving a lot of fruit and produce when it's in season.

I have a list of customers on an e-mail list---kinda like an informal CSA. I enjoy it, but it's a lot more complicated. As I've noted before, our market is abysmal. You'll put in twelve hours of work and maybe only make $35. It is really pathetic.

Brook

Original Author
    13 years ago

Brook,

I know about the Farmers Market work, $35, that is pathetic.
    Sounds like you have a great restaurant to deal with. I think you are very lucky. I am hoping I can find a deal like that too.

About your "informal CSA" take a serious look at www.locallygrown.net. my online csa is www.rvp.locallygrown.net

It is a super easy way to have an online market and to organize your offerings.

Jay

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals