Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bucks_gw

flea markets

bucks
19 years ago

I am not near a farmer's market, but there is a flea market. Has anyone sold at a flea market before? Do you find that you are able to command the prices that you would want to get at a normal farmer's market, or are they looking for the special flea market deal? while I sell to several stores and a local fruit stand, I find that I really want to command a higher price than what the stores or fruit stands want to pay, but I just do not want to waste my time at a flea market if no one is able to command a decent price. I noticed two produce trucks selling at this market and it was obvious that they were buying goods from the local produce wholesalers and just unloading it out of boxes. It upsets me so. I had thought about taking pictures of me and my crops and even an album showing the plants when they first came up to me picking them to show that they were grown locally and without chemicals. I would think that others have done this with sucess.

Comments (4)

• trianglejohn
    19 years ago

I have sold at the local Flea Market and plan on working harder on it this next year. I would suggest that you pay close attention to the people attending the market. Here the people are mostly inner city and they have a set amount of cash in their pockets and they have made the rounds of all the morning garage sales and come to the flea market to find any last minute treasures. They spend anywhere from $5 - $100 and they do buy veggies from the few dealers that I have noticed. My guess is that they are buying produce because it is convenient moreso than making a special trip to the market on the way home. They will pay more for specialty items or organic but not a lot more (this could be because there is a huge and popular organic grocery store nearby). If the crowd is not to your liking - you could try advertising in the local paper stating what you're selling and when you'll be there and see if it attracts a crowd to your stall. I don't sell produce, mostly garden themed arts and crafts and this next year live plants - the well organized and very popular farmers market won't allow some of my products in so I can't set up there (I publish gardening related booklets and calendars focused on this immediate area, they don't allow music or publications of any sort to be sold).

• fancifowl
    19 years ago

I have noticed mostly wholesale prices for fruits/veggies at flea markets in my area. It appears the same vendors are hitting several flea markets, I also think much of their goods are bought at auctions. I also have seen some perennial with rather high end pricing. If I am gonna get only wholsale for my produce I want to unload it all at once, not sit there all day for a couple bucks and have to haggle for that.

• jlee503
    19 years ago

I have a large local flea market. Mostly wholesalers unloading the basics. I have taken sweetcorn and tomatoes and the corn,being fresh and local, sold out. But most of the shoppers were looking more for deals than quality.

• digit
    19 years ago

I think that you've heard some good advice, Bucks but I really want to emphasize some things. First, think about traveling a little to a good market. Here in the west, it isnÂt uncommon for folks to take their produce 100 and more miles to sell.

You arenÂt just talking about selling at a flea market but one that has produce resellers. You spend the growing season producing crops and then compete with someone who picked up similar produce the same marketday. They may even be brokering the produce and just paying for what they sell while returning the remainder to the wholesaler.

Flea markets represent the lowest common denominator. Are you really willing to take the lowest common denomination for your work and wisdom?

Digit

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH