Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trianglejohn

Market events that work

trianglejohn
17 years ago

I have been asked to help plan monthly events or themed activities for the small farmers market I will be participating in next year. We plan on advertising and need events to focus our ad copy on, hopefully to increase customers to the market. They have pulled off some successful events in the past (Chili cook off, garlic festival etc.) and realize they need something every month so they have formed a committee to oversee this and invited me to help out (I work in advertising).

So I am wondering what events seem to draw the most new customers? did anything really improve sales? What is the wildest success story out there?

Comments (8)

• randy41_1
    17 years ago

there's been a tomato contest at our market for the past couple of years and it increases traffic greatly. its done late in august. there are entries for best tasting, largest, etc.

• Dibbit
    17 years ago

Not having enough experience to say from personal experience, but I would imagine that ethnic "festivals", Mexican, Caribbean, Italian, etc., etc., might work - you (market vendors) do or can grow most of the ingredients needed, esp. with enough lead time. I doubt the market is drawing much, or is even open, for strawberry festivals, or early spring crops like asparagus, but what about the other fruits - apples, blueberries, and the other berry fruits - raspberry, gooseberry, etc., etc.? Another option might be for melons, or sweet corn (yes, I know the last is almost a non-starter due to grocery store availability, but just tossing out ideas). If there are flower growers, what about having the local garden clubs do a flower arranging "contest", including a class for the customer/amateur to enter on the day - or say that ALL arrangements must be made up from materials available on the day, containers supplied by the market or the arranger, and maybe limit the amount of flowers to $X, or to 2 bunches, etc. etc. You might have to provide greenery and filler material.... If it's done right, you might have mini-demos.... I would probably come for most of these ideas, and if they are well advertised, and sound enticing and welcoming...

• sandy0225
    17 years ago

We have a chef from a local restaurant that comes almost every week. He gets to advertise his restaurant during the demo, and he uses whatever is in season at the market that day, and gets his main ingredients there at the market. It seems to work to get people in to see "what's cooking".
    We had a quartet play one time, that was just annoying though,no one could hear a thing....ditto for the "irish folk singer

• hengal
    17 years ago

Hi John -

A couple of things we are trying this year is a kid's day, with face painters and kids games.
    We are also looking at a vegetable carving contest, with prizes. (The veggies must be purchased from the market and there will be different skill levels awarded.)
    Giving thought also to advertising "vendor of the week" and making sure the public knows well ahead of time specials they will be advertising. I'm still looking for ideas, and have been getting some help from some area markets which are much larger and much more established than ours. We are a small community and this will only be our second year. I'd love to see if anyone else has more ideas also. :)

• trianglejohn
    Original Author
    17 years ago

On a recent visit back to my home state I stopped in at my old job (a large city zoo) and asked the PR folks there what kinda events pulled the biggest crowds and which were the easiest to throw together. They hands-down stated that 'story time' for little kids drew the biggest crowds. Even though the parents could easily read to their kids at home it seems they love the idea of getting out of the house and letting someone else do the work. They suggested I contact some sort of civic group and maybe a local bookstore to see about showcasing books concerning gardening or farming or barnyard animals - so far I haven't found anyone but our market doesn't start for a few months so I feel I have time.

• hengal
    17 years ago

John -

That is a good idea. In looking over several farmers markets websites I did find one that did just that - had a "storytime tent" that was sponsored by the local library with volunteers to read. That could fit in well with a kids day too. :)

• flowers4u
    17 years ago

I like the ideas suggested so far. Our market has a cherry pit spitting contest (lots of cherry orchards around), a zucchini race, most unusual fruit/vegetable, and a dog wash!
    The dog wash - sponsored by a local rescue group was a big hit...not sure how many petowners spent a lot at market, but their booth was next to mine last year and there were at least 100 dogs! And, of course their families!

Our market has monthly kids market days as well...where kids booths are free...kids under 16 I think. And, of course if kids are there so are their families and friends!
    Good luck,

• hengal
    17 years ago

flowers4U -

Okay - I have to ask! What did the zucchini race look like??? I'm picturing people on their hands and knees pushing zucchinis along with their noses?!? LOL! Please share! :)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm