Return to the Market Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Harvesting broccoli

Posted by rita2004 8 (ritajanders@cvtv.net) on
Sun, Dec 31, 06 at 11:38

I planted my first market crop of broccoli this year and I have a question about storage after harvesting. How do you keep the broccoli fresh if you pick on Monday and don't go to market until saturday? Where I live here in Texas, we do get some warm days and I don't want it to go to flowering on me so I need to harvest.
Rita

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Harvesting broccoli

Hydro cool it, spin it dry and put it in a refrigerator covered either with a damp towel (best) or in a plastic bag.

the quality will not be the best but they should be sellable after 4.5 days in storage.

If you do not have rtefrigeration you will have chance the heads going to flower and cut them friday as they will not hold at all in hot conditions (anything over 42˚F)

o
RE: Harvesting broccoli

i would just pick it in the early morning before it gets hot out and put it in a cooler with ice or refrigerate.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Market Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here