Return to the Market Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pepper Roasters?

Posted by jasdesign Z4 SD (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 23, 06 at 13:34

I keep seeing mentioned that some vendors sell roasted peppers at their markets? What type of roaster do they use and what type of legal issues would be related to selling them in an open market? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pepper Roasters?

Just google 'Pepper Roaster' and you'll see companies that make them (I believe one of them is www.pepperroaster.com). People I know that do it get around the rules by not charging for the roasting - they sell the peppers and roast them for free, otherwise they would have to get permits for cooked food.

o

I done a diligent Google search and can't find a source for a drum type rotating pepper roaster. Anybody have any hints?

o

Oops! I'm sorry. Try googling 'Chile Roasters'. Most of the ones I've seen used in markets are large stainless steel drums with propane burners. All of them are very expensive (to me) so at home I just use the backyard grill. Mine don't come out as perfect as the tumbling roasters do but taste just as good. My friends have the smallest one offered. Keep in mind that these grills cook a lot of peppers at one time and you want to keep them operating as long as there is a crowd at your market, so think small and grow a lot of peppers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Market Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here