Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mommagoose_gw

slicing cuke varieties

mommagoose
17 years ago

Well I have made a decision not to attend the local farmers markets this year. There is still too much uncertanty in growing anything on my flood ravaged property. I will however be growing about 1/2 of acre of pickling cucumbers to fill my best customers orders. The varieties I have chosen are Cross Country, Eclipse, Royal, and Eureka. These are all great varieties for handpicking over a long season. I am also looking into raising slicers. Last year the local growers had awful looking slicers. Probably the weather did not help but I think we could grow a slicer with better visual appearence using our methods of culture . I need to find out how much a bushel of exceptional slicers is selling for before I commit to raising them and I also need to find a slicer that will hold up to hand picking.

If any of you can recommend a long producing slicer, with good desease tolerance that won't die aftr its first picking , please tell me what the name is. I have used General Lee before with mixed results. I especially like the lomg thin types. What is the average wholesale price of a bushel of premium slicers?

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting