Return to the Market Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ez seeder

Posted by wackybella none (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 13, 11 at 15:03

I bought an EZ Seeder at an auction a few months back For just over $100. Just now tinkering with it. I have the #4, 7 and 16 plates for the 288 size flats. I will be ordering the #1 and 16 in the 98 cell size. As I have never grown anything in a 288 before. Has anyone grown toms or peppers or anything fast growing in a 288 cell. I grow everything in a 98 round cell and pot on to 4" pots. Never dabbled into flower pack / hanging basket sales as I think its a hard sell at a FM. I will be using the 288 to grow out some slow herbs thype, oregano etc.

What would you crack out your greenhouse if you had an ez seeder? If I did dabble in a few flowers, what would you suggest?

I also bought a junked out germination chamber that I intend to rebuild. got it for $35.00 new its $3700

http://www.sezsdr.com/home.htm

thanks for the insight
Kristi

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ez seeder

Wish i had been there, sounds like you got a good deal. I have bought marigolds in 288s, but I haven't tried to grow anything. Seems like a very small amount of dirt, and you would want a very small seed. Otherwise, waste some money on a cheap pack of seeds and try it. What will you be out, alittle dirt and a cheap pack of seeds, and some time. What will you be ahead, knowledge, and that's worth everything.

Marla

o

Just curious, What does a $3,700 germination chamber look like?

o

all you need is some boxes and plactic cover and 1 or 2 chicken heet lamp. That is a 10doller one

o

Yes, but I am curious about the $3700 dollar thingy.

o

Looks like this:

Here is a link that might be useful: 96 flats

o

thanks

right now I use an old sliding glass door cooler as my germ chamber and I use a crock pot flled with water for more heat and humidity. But $35.00 who could resist this big one! all the expaned metal is rusted out as in GONE!

Also has anyone used the ez seeder for microgreen seeding?
thanks.

o

I think you would get a better microgreen crop from just spreading the seeds on your growing medium. They don't really need much precision, and a dense planting gives a higher yield. I don't know where you live but on the new england coast you can get rubber-coated wire that they use for lobster traps that makes good rugged shelving. I would use the 288s for slow germinating small seeds, herbs, celery, etc., but remember it's a LOT of transplanting. Good luck. Nice buy.

Here is a link that might be useful: coated welded wire

o

bi11me,
Thanks for the link.
Stacking trays is a new concept to me.

o

I have a few plates that I ordered and never used.

#9-98

#3-72

#5-50

o

We do 100's of 288's every year...I used the last ones out of my second case of 100 a week ago. Now I'm using old ones that I've bleached. No hand seeder here. We are using a Vandana tubeless seeder.

We grow just about everything in them, the list is too long.

o

ogfarmer

what was the cost of the Plates?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Market Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here