Return to the Market Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Yields per plant

Posted by ekgrows 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 29, 08 at 17:39

I'm hoping someone out there can help me figure out yields. Unfortunately, I am not a good record keeper, and am now trying to figure out an average yield per plant for crops I am growing next year, as I know how many pounds of produce I need, but not how many plants I need. I have looked at Johnny's chart, and while some crops seem accurate, other do not. For example, they have that a 100' row of tomatoes will yield about 150 lbs of fruit - which is 1.5 lbs per row foot. I have harvested 10-20 times that amount per row foot.

I know it is a very general question, that is dependent on many factors - soil fertility, spacing, weather, varieties, etc. but I am hoping someone has a very general answer, or knows of a website that can help me plan for next year. I am hoping to find the average yield per plant of peppers, eggplant, tomatoes (I have found that 10 lbs/plant is a pretty safe estimate, while some will yield much more) squash, and cucumbers.

Again - I know it is a very generic question - that I wouldn't have to ask if I kept better records from previous years! Any help would be MUCH appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Yields per plant

Outdoor tomatoes, if taken care of and watered properly can yield 10 lb each. Green beans 100-150bu/acre. Sweet corn 10,000 ears/acre. Good squash and cucumbers will yield a lot but you have to keep them picked. One large cucumber left on a plant will cause it to shut down and die. Same with zuccini and really peppers too. I think the charts are accurate at a very high management level. Drip irrigation, proper weed control, and fungicides will give you these. You can probably cut those figures 1/2 or 1/3 if you didn't use pesticides and fungicides and it didn't rain much.

o
RE: One more thing

ALWAYS PLANT TWICE AS MUCH AS YOU THINK YOU'LL NEED.
A mennonite farmer told me that when I started my vegetable growing business. He has been absolutely right every year. Murphy's Law seems to prove it's self quite often when gardening!

o

Thanks king. Last year was a bad year for warm weather crops, and while I planted about 30% more than the previous year, my yields were much less. Hopefully, we will have a better growing season this year. I wish I had enough room to grow twice what I need!!!!!

o

This information is in the Johnny's Selected Seeds catalog

Here is a link that might be useful: Johnny's Selected Seeds

o

There are some very useful charts in a book called: How to Grow More Vegetables and Fruits (and Fruits, Nuts, Berries, Grains, and Other Crops) Than You Ever Thought Possible on Less Land Than You Can Imagine (Paperback) by John Jeavons. It's all about biointensive gardening and increasing food crop yields per square foot. Check your library or you can order it online. My copy is about 10 years old and I'd be curious to know if the yield estimates have changed much in the newest edition.

Here is a link that might be useful: You to Grow More Vegetables

o

Thanks Steve!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Market Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here