Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jpc57

How much to plant?

jpc57
16 years ago

In 2008, we will be first-time sellers at our local farmers market. We will grow heirloom varieties of tomatoes, peppers, etc. We pretty much know what we want to grow. We are making compost now (I have access to TONS of leaves!), ordering tools (I love the Eliot Coleman hoes, etc. that Johnny's Seeds carries), getting the plots ready for planting, and so on.

What we are not sure of is how much of anything to grow. We are in a somewhat rural area, with a good amount of summer visitors/summer people. I know that the first year will be a huge lesson in learning the ropes, but we want to be able to last the season, which runs from April to November (Saturday only). Any ideas? Thanks!

Comments (6)

• nancyofnc
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Last year was my first time as a Saturday's only seller too. What I learned is that next year I'll plant twice as much of everything that I can harvest in the earliest season, less mid-season, and less variety of tomatoes.

Sometimes I didn't sell much (bad weather, so many competing corner produce stands, etc.) and now I have my freezer and pantry full of canned and dried goods, enough to last for two years. What I don't sell this year will be given to local charities or composted. I hate composting good food so I will try all other avenues.

Sometimes I sold out quickly and made a note on my calendar to plant twice as much of those things (green beans, early and late pickings of okra, spring red and yellow onions, early baby carrots, cukes). But, for spring and early summer only. I couldn't give away the late okra, any cut herbs at all, nor mid-season tomatoes (market glut).

I made the mistake of planting a large variety of heirloom tomatoes and found people want only "a good slicer", "Roma's", or a small tray of walk-around cherry toms to eat while shopping. They tasted the orange "Persimmon" and "Black from Tula" but didn't buy them, they bought the OK but not great tasting, to my mind, "Rutgers" and "Oregon Spring" because they are red and round! Some would not even try the odd shaped "Principe Borghese" even when I told them they were better tasting than Roma's, nor the bumpy shouldered "Marmande" and "Big Rainbow". I will grow heirlooms for my family because of the wonderful flavors but I won't take a lot to market. It is too hard to educate the consumers, and they balk at the higher prices for them. Since I grow using organic methods, heirlooms are difficult to keep disease and bug free and people want absolutely perfect looking tomatoes. My few pepper plants failed but other vendors couldn't GIVE their peppers away unless they were the plain old green bells. If you think your market would use the variety of peppers, go for it. Our market doesn't seem to support frying or stuffing peppers, and few make their own salsa's or cook Mexican or Indian dishes using hot peppers.

When the weather gets hot - July, August scorchers - people will NOT come to market and those that do find half-baked produce no matter how they are protected from the sun, the heat of the air will cook them. So, I am not planting many mid season veggies. When the weather cools some in September/October, the people will come out again so next year I will have late season veggies for them.

On the other hand, I found my best sellers were unusual veggies not often, or never, available in the stores: horseradish roots (with a handout for how to prepare it), non-Chinese garlic, white cucumbers, "Watermelon" radishes, "Patty-Pan" squash, spaghetti squash, baby beets, and I'll also grow peanuts. For these, have samples to taste, people love free food. Simple recipe handouts make them buy more, and be sure to post photos of your garden.

I also found that very few people cared that I use organic methods. They want fresh and local. They know that my produce is picked the day before (and sometimes at dawn of the day), but most really don't care that it is organic. I care because I am feeding people and they don't need any more toxins.

So, as for your question, my answer is to plan on four times what your family would consume in a season. If you have a large customer base (which you don't know if you do, yet) you will have plenty to sell out (the whole idea of farmer's market) and if you don't have as big a base, then you'll have lots to can or freeze for your family and friends. I would also recommend interplanting other veggies because you may not know if you can specialize in just tomatoes and peppers. See what sells this year and make lots of notes for next year. Observe what other sellers have and what they have left at the end of the day. And, most of all, have fun.

Nancy

• sundacks
    16 years ago

Also a first-time vendor last year (and a first-time manager at a brand new market -what a hoot!)I second the importance of early season veggies, especially in our cool climate. Another thing I will be more diligent about is succession planting: we can grow lettuce here all summer, so if I keep dropping those seeds into the ground I'll have a reliable crop and customers will stop first at my table looking for it.

Second piece of advice: Fruit! Any kind, any time. Berries are a high value crop here. Unfortunately we can't grow stone fruits, but melons went well. And once you bring them in with fresh strawberries...

I'm also organic, and though organics are not important to the general public they are important to a loyal clientele. It's all about education. And samples!

• barrie2m_(6a, central PA)
    16 years ago

If you're not established in a market then diversity will set you on the course to determine your future.

Sundacks advice on fruits is good since most fruits always tend to sell well.

My experience is opposite of Nancedar's where heirloom tomatoes have been very good sellers at our markets. But you will need to establish what works and comfortable amounts for your markets over time.

Although some vendors in the markets consider it a good day if they sell out I consider it poor preparation if I don't have enough of most vegetables to last through the market. If customers see an abundant supply they will be more inclined to pick from your selections and there are always a few that want a large volume discount which can provide a comfort cushion to your harvest.

If you tend to experience weekly variations then plant more of crops like beets,potatoes,onions,peppers, eggplant, pumpkins or winter squash that can stay a few weeks longer on the plants. I didn't even harvest beets or potatoes until late in the season because I knew our display space wouldn't allow for them to be properly exhibited.

If you have a variety of produce then you can soon tell what sells and where you want to devote your time. For seeds that are cheap like beans or peas plant more than you can usually harvest. Think of them as soil conditioning legumes. I'd even diversify within each crop such as to offer beans as green, yellow, flat and even purple.

Soon you will see which crops are in demand and customers will be asking you to grow specific crops if they as satisfied with you as a grower.

• farmerellaplace
    16 years ago

Thank you for posting your question as I was wondering the same thing. 2008 will be my first year trying out market garden sales. Wished I'd looked through this site first but think I am happy with my decision to try selling heirloom, miniature and gourmet vegetable starter plants. Can't change my mind now as I've already got seeds on the way!

• sandra_christie
    16 years ago

Nancy,
    I'm not a grower, just someone who wants organic fresh veg. and understands the time and effort involved in growing it. I wish, wish, people would get over the perfect veg. syndrome, and go for taste and flavor. People are starting to care about organic, so your diligence will be repaid. However, the most impressive thing in your post was, "I care because I am feeding people and they don't need any more toxins." I WISH I lived in your zone and could buy your veg. Keep up the good work!!!

• tulsacityfarmer
    16 years ago

I agree with sandra. Nancy Keep growing organic and try posting a sign, that will explain "the perfect syndrome" and why organic is better.Sometimes we just need to teach our comsumers.

Sponsored