Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jrslick

Pics from First Winter Market

Our first winter market was on December 3rd. It was a successful day. We need to build this market. I took alot of stuff and brought home a bunch. Way over picked, but you never know.

Jay

Comments (29)

• myfamilysfarm
    12 years ago

Great pics, Jay. Suggestion;;; use binder clips to put your signs on each winter squash, also binder the correct recipe to the basket holding the squash. That's what I did when I first started out with winter squash. It's amazing how few people knew the difference between butternut and acorn, let alone any thing else.

Marla

• jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, I usually do. However, I pulled out stuff from my normal Farmers Market tubs and I forgot some stuff. I also forgot a big basket of Deletica squash and several recipes that I copied to give out.

Jay

• little_minnie
    12 years ago

How do you post pics on this forum? I tried pasting my links and nothing works.

Original Author
    12 years ago

You have to have a photo hosting site, photobucket, flickr, etc.

Click on the html code, most have them under the picture. Then copy and past that into your message.

Jay

• randy41_1
    12 years ago

nice pics jay. must be nice to be at an indoor market this time of year.

• cowpie51
    12 years ago

So I guess this will be your last attempt at Market gardening considering there was not a customer in view when you took the picture.

Original Author
    12 years ago

No, since it was an inside market. We kept the doors closed until 8. That allowed everyone to get set up. I snapped a few pictures, before they opened the doors. All in all it was a nice day.

Jay

• little_minnie
    12 years ago

Oh I have never used the hotmail link. Always the img or direct link. Thanks

{{gwi:1048112}}
    I took 3 pics is all last week and 1 was fuzzy. So here is an ok one.

• myfamilysfarm
    12 years ago

Some people don't understand farmers marketing versus farm stand marketing. I'm sure there are times that there are no people at either.

Great idea about keeping the doors closed until opening, open air market wish we could do that.

Marla

• rustico_2009
    12 years ago

Seems like a pretty good idea to be at your normal FM 100% of the time it is open. Loyalty to Market Manager, Loyalty to other vendors, and to your customers.Besides possibly being the right thing to do, I think that will pay back in the busy season too.

• cowpie51
    12 years ago

i dont do winter markets cause i cant afford a hoop house yet but when i get one i gonna grow lot of vegetables to sell in winter

• Mark
    12 years ago

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but today I finally motivated to take some pics of our winter booth at the year round market we attend.
    It was below freezing here in the pacific NW this week, so the booth may not be so full in the near future.

• magz88
    12 years ago

Looks great madroneb.

What are the dark-coloured fruit to the right of the garlic in the second picture?

• myfamilysfarm
    12 years ago

looks like red onions. Nice pics, an outside market here is usually very cold this time of year, but last night we were 59 and thunderstorms. Temps dropping all day today down to below freezing.

Marla

• cowpie51
    12 years ago

I believe those are Medlars. Mark

• Mark
    12 years ago

Cowpie51 is right, those are medlars. He must a been to da librari.

• little_minnie
    12 years ago

Medlars. I could read the sign. But what do you do with them?

Very nice market table BTW! The sweet potatoes and parsnips look yummy! Good use of table space with the back stuff raised up like that.

• myfamilysfarm
    12 years ago

Ok, educate me. What are medlars and what do they taste like. They just looked like red onions, or am I looking at something different. Sorry I just took a better look, not red onions.

Original Author
    12 years ago

Very nice set up. Those carrots are really orange! This looks like it is set up in an urban neighborhood? The houses in the background. That is interesting.

Are you growing outside or do you have high tunnels too?

Thanks for sharing.

Jay

• boulderbelt
    12 years ago

I gotta say i do not miss outdoor winter markets. i am quite happy doing my winter CSA

• sandy0225
    12 years ago

I'm lucky ours is inside. I'll try and take some pictures tomorrow. The only problem is that mostly what I have to take is plants right now and for some reason no one seems to be too excited about houseplants this year. I wonder why?

• randy41_1
    12 years ago

here are some pictures from this morning's market. this market is every week all year round.

From Pictures

From Pictures

From Pictures

From Pictures

i could have sold a lot more than what i had.

• magz88
    12 years ago

Nice, Randy. I hope it wasn't too cold out. Will you continue to have the same amount or more as the winter progresses?

• Mark
    12 years ago

Randy, your stuff looks great. Looks like a nice sunny day too.

Sorry so long b4 my reply. Had another market today and harvest yesterday.
    Medlars,,,hmmm. I never get asked what they are lol. Medlars are in the Rosaceae family, as are pears, apples, etc. They are an old world fruit that when soft, the interior tastes like spiced applesauce. Super cold hardy but not exactly the biggest seller.

jrslick, We have one 30x100 hoophouse for tender greens in the winter, everything else is from outside. And the market is just outside a health food store in Portland, OR. It's an older Italian neighborhood where we block off one side street for the afternoon.

minnie, even though they look like sweet potatoes, those are Yacon. We can't pull off sweets unless I tie up a lot of room in the hoop.

• randy41_1
    12 years ago

i think i will have the same amount until the sun starts coming back our way. i expect in early february to see a giant increase in greens production before it all goes to seed.
    it was very cold standing out there...low 30's and breezy. but it only took 2 1/2 hours to sell out and get into my truck and turn the heat way up.
    need to find a way to harvest faster.

• little_minnie
    12 years ago

Ah yacon.

do the celeriac sell ok? That seems like an annoying crop since they have such a long season (and taste like celery), but something is attractive about them. Maybe it is just the lines in the movie Emma. LOL.

• Mark
    12 years ago

Celeriac did better for me than celery this season and sells just fine (2.50/lb). The celery got black heart as I couldn't keep enough water on it once it started to get hot. The celeriac was much more forgiving and frost tolerant also.

Randy, what slows down your harvest, the details or the cold?

• randy41_1
    12 years ago

the cold is not a problem. it seems that when daylength is longer and growth is faster i can pick much more in the same period of time. now i hunt around for leaves of salad mix ingredients and spinach instead of them being everywhere.
    it took pretty much all day friday for my wife and i to harvest everything and prepare it for the market. thats fine but we should have ended up with twice as much.

• Mark
    12 years ago

I have the same problem. Every once in a while I go through on a non-harvest day and try to clean up the junk leaves which helps a bit.
    With the spinach, i've been cutting a section at a time to about 2" and then taking it to the table to sort it quickly b4 bagging. As long as it has 3-4 weeks to grow back thats been working ok.

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz