Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fredder_gw

A little help with things to sell

fredder
15 years ago

Hello,

I mainly sell fruit in June. Apricots and cherries.

I wanted to branch out and sell other things.

I'm in southern cal and I know the skyies the limit, but I really wanted to focus on things that sell and are easy to grow.

I do have some area to put in other plants so let me know what ideas there are?

Thanks a ton,

Fred

Comments (5)

• jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

It just depends on your market. What does everyone else have? In my opinion you have to try alot and then find what works and what doesn't. You have to have what everyone else has and something that will make them stop. I do that with Tomatoes, Squash, cucumbers and Potatoes.

I always keep my Yellow, Orange, and Black tomatoes infront of my reds. People always see them and stop and ask questions. Since they stopped, they see the quality and buy some reds and then a few others. I grow many kinds of cucumbers, Lemon, Armenian, and White Wonder. All Blue potaotes are also good seller and eye catcher.

Good Luck!

• gringojay
    15 years ago

Easiest in your heat is okra; "Rocket" ( Evergreen seeds) is quick & tidy. Pick small, display handful but sell pre-bagged. Tell customer to steam atop rice, etc. without breaking skin if don't want gumbo ooze. Offer fresh picked raw for those with irritable digestion (cooked also soothing). Pickle bumper crop. Heirloom varieties too much work.

Conversation piece is Pencil Cob corn (Victory & Heirloom Acres seeds)- will grow in your dry heat with tight shuck minimizing insect damage.

My hook was cucumber recently mentioned to Newbie What to Grow - in heat
    raced ahead of all other vines to fruit.

Herbs ... lots of niche medicinals, but small sales volume. Feverfew is easy to grow from seed or propagate from plant & well recognized as migraine preventative - tell them to ingest 2-3 leaves/day to see for themselves.

• fredder
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well thanks a ton,

I have always tried things to get em in. But I'm really looking for other things to try.

My heat and lack of water make it hard on me. So I have been looking for other things.

It's weird because you have to find good things. I try and sell things thats I like a lot and then it is not had for me to talk about it.

Now I have never tried Okra. I have always though about it ALOT. Is it good to eat? What does it taste like?

Thanks a ton,

F

• gringojay
    15 years ago

Nothing tastes like okra, except okra. It is a mucilagenous edible seed pod that is nutritious, protein rich & hunger satisfying . Think Louisiana "gumbo" & Southern deep fried. Pick young & they are all tender, making them good to eat. The one's sold in grocery stores are usually too old & fibrous - they want the weight.
    The okra heirlooms have prickly hairs & you'll harvest with gloves. "Cow Horn" (Pine Tree seeds)is a tasty heirloom. Expect tall plants. Hybrids usually least prickly & side branches more manageable. Hybrids are real quick fruiting. I told you my commercial favorite - it is a more central bearing plant with tender fruit.
    I grew in semi-arid tropics & pared down my market selection to manage my limited water.
    Peppers were a good crop to sell & grow . Roasting peppers, think Tex-Mex, were more tolerant than bells. My favorite for minimal heat, nice smokey taste & decent meaty walls is "Joe E. Parker" (Redwood City Seeds - owner/website offers good pepper growing tips).
    Only hybrid pepper I like & sold plenty of was "Spanish Spice (Totally Tomatoes Seeds or Tomato Growers Supply).
    Eggplant likes heat but it's customer base is small. Go with long tender asian ones rather than bulbous round seen in grocery. Those who liked 'em always asked for more of "Ma-Zu" (Evergreen Seeds) , the hands down most delicious. You'll want to stake it for straight % fruit. This is a long season variety.
    Tomatoes will be a problem for really high temperature growing. I never found any heat tolerant heirlooms that yielded well enough to market steadily at my place. You have to trial the hybrids, but seed sellers' blurbs usually are too good to be true. Essentially, if it's too hot don't expect to get away with open field growing toms without some fancy shade/mist tactics.
    Millet, think bird seed, will grow in the most marginal region, like sub-sahara - even where sorghum won't . It's good eating grain that stores well. I personally found the Amer-Indian corn yields discouraging (maybe my micro-climate wrong).
    Amaranth takes dry heat & is a tinier grain than millet. There are lots of varieties & even ornamentals in family. The red/burgundy seed heads are
    more full than the tan strains ( Seeds of Change). You can pop it & mix with
    sweetner, think rice krispy treats. Watch out for bird marauders so you can beat them to the harvest.
    Flax is easy & little bothers it. It is good for eating, supplemental feeding & worth keeping on hand for medicinal purposes. Emperor Constantine long ago passed a law all bread had to have flax in it.
    Tetragonia ( nicknamed inappropriately New Zeland spinach) is a heat thriving green. It was too much trouble to pick for market - but you can
    cook it a home. Taste is nothing special (Pinetree seeds &/or Seeds of Change).
    For melons (Willhite Seeds) you better have some soil & also water under control. Be prepared to spray your melons, or pray.
    Beans, peas or whatever are just too much work for bringing to market for my liking. "Tepary" is a drought tolerant bean (Seeds of Change).
    Mustard encompasses a lot of varieties. The tender greens are good to eat for a spicy flavor raw or cooked. Black mustard is hotter (Redwood City Seeds)
    than brown - Collard greens are broad leaf type (Baker Creek Seeds).
    If you can keep a patch watered nearby try growing both Cilantro & Arugula - replant sequentially because they will bolt. You pick leafy stems & leave the plants growing (most seed companies sell).
    Under shade cloth grow 21 day cut & cut again micro-greens. Flats are easier to protect than in the ground. You might want some "Agribon" drop cloth to keep insects off. Favorite blend for texture & savour is "Spectrum Greens"
    (Johnnys Select Seeds, for Agribon too).
    Sunflowers will probably take your heat. You won't be competitive with the commercial growers - but they are fun.

• gringojay
    15 years ago

Fredder,
    Here's how to market "Cajun Pickled Okra".
    Wash 3 # okra, don't cook just drain, cut off top 1/2 of stem & pack in 6 sterile jars stem upwards....
    Distribute into the okra 6 whole garlic cloves (peeled), 6 red chillis & 1 tablespoon ( total) of dill seed....
    Bring the following brine to a disolving boil: 5 cup water, 3 cups distilled white vinegar, 1/4 cup pickling/kosher salt & 2 tablespoons sugar....
    Pour to cover Okra with hot brine, screw on sterile lids & give 15 minute hot water "bath"...
    Age minimum 3 weeks....
    Once open a refrigerated jar keeps 1/2 year.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH