Return to the Market Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New homemade barrel washer

Posted by jrslick KS/5 (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 28, 12 at 23:07

I have been working on this (in my mind for months now) and I finally had time to start it and build it in the last few weeks.

It is 4 foot long and the barrel is 2 foot wide. It is powered by a DC variable speed motor. I have not used it to wash carrots, yet, but Sunday is the day. It is going to be the warmest day of the week (42) and we need over 100 pounds of carrots for then farmers market coming up the first Saturday of January. I can't wait to fire it up.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

It is made out of 26 inch bike rims. The wood slats are 1 by 4 ripped in half. The reason is the 1 by 4 would screw to the rims tight enough. I have about $100 in it. I also have a lot of free stuff it it too! I have included a link to a youtube video of it running.

Jay

Here is a link that might be useful: Video of barrel washer running

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New homemade barrel washer

Neat! It looks like a gold-mining trommel that they use to wash rocks.

o

nice, we could use one of those

o

i would like that for mixing salad. nice job.

o

Jay,

Do you plan to coat the wood in anything? Or do you think with enough drying out between washes that it will last ok?

o

No I don't plan on coating the wood in anything. If I did it would have to be a food safe product. I used it last week and while we had a problem with the belt slipping, it worked great. We let it sit outside and dried it off then we brought it back inside.

Since the wood is just plain pine, replacing a board or two won't be very hard to do.

Here is a link that might be useful: Barrel washer in use.

o

They seem to be sliding more than tumbling, so you might not be getting the best washing. Consider attaching a couple of slanted fins inside to force them to tumble.

Look inside a dryer or front-loader washer to see what I mean.

o

There is one strip of wood inside to help them tumble. I don't want them to constantly tumble, then they will be breaking. I have modeled it of other commercial washers available.

Jay

o

I see it now, in the picture.

o

Hi, did you use a gear reducer on the motor? What is the maximum rpm and power rating?

o

The motor was off an old walking treadmill with a variable speed motor. I can make the motor turn very slow to turning so fast it almost knocks itself off the rollers. It doesn't have a gear reduction, but I am working at getting the motor to work better.

Currently, it helps "Assists" with turning the barrel. If I get too many carrots in the barrel, the belt slips and it doesn't turn. However, I can easily help it along, by hand and it turns just fine.

The motor set up is far from ideal, but I have zero dollars invested in the motor so I just need to find the time and buy a better motor and gear box (or I may just leave it alone as I am happy with how it works now).

Jay

o

Cool beans!

o

Nice if I had something like that for greens I would be able to keep up.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Market Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here