Return to the Market Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looks like I'm Going to Make It

Posted by rustico_2009 (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 6, 12 at 23:47

I think those are the words to a song?
Anyway, I am still at one market and it looks like I might make it to a first consecutive year of attendance in the spring. Not making any money but it's a milestone of sorts.

My garden is really terrible...but it's a milestone of sorts.
Hope to do better next year in the late fall summer era.
I do still have zucchini! Mostly just paying for the chicken feed selling the small supply of eggs.

Last week a friend and I got in a good chess game during the market...it's that slow.

Anyway, Glad to share this hobby/business with you folks and thanks for the encouragement, great ideas and support.

Russ

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looks like I'm Going to Make It

I think I'm better at chess than market gardening. And that is not saying much!

Congratulations on persevering.

o

Some days are like that. Bring a book? If it's about this business it will look like you're trying to learn more. Lol

o

It was "Looks Like We Made it" by Barry Manilow. Yes congrats and remember to keep those prices hig and that u did not build the road to the market. lol

o

I am pretty bad a both chess and market gardening, Cole! Getting some enjoyment out of it though.

Marla, sometimes I take a barstool to sit/lean on which doesn't seem as bad a chair. A book would go well with that....maybe a crossword puzzle.

Thanks, Dirt digging, the low supply and small flow of people will make it easier to raise prices when things pick up...I am usually the lowest of the real growers so there is room to go up easily.

o

People will remember your lower prices next year, so increase them slowly. It's harder to raise the prices than you image.

o

Yeah, I know Marla, if you put it out high it goes well....but try to raise the price a bit from way too low and deal with some fairly bitter reactions.

I had cucumbers for .50 each last year and a fellow vendor says she gets a dollar so I raised it to .75 or 3 for $2. People who were new to my stall snatched them up and many people didn't mind, but I lost a customer or two who had previously practically declared everlasting love!

o

They LOVE the low prices, but customers are fickle. Plus if you are consistently the low price person, other vendors get upset if you get all the business.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Market Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here