Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barbamwy

Plant Sales

Barb52
18 years ago

Do any of you sponser a plant sale? I have been selling Heirloom tomato plants long before becoming a Master Gardener 5 years ago. My first year as a Master Gardener I sold plants at a community flea market, not representing myself as a Master Gardener, but for a garden I maintain for a young murder victim. I then involved other Master Gardeners to sell with me as Master Gardeners. We did that for 3 years and last year rented a hall and had our own sale with speakers and vendors and made $500.00 for the Master Gardener organization.

The issue this year is some are complaining we (I think they mean me) are profiting from being Master Gardeners. There are only a few of us that have the equipment for raising plants in our homes. We each purchase all of our own supplies and the electricity for grow lights is expensive too. We contributed 20% of our sales to the organization and some are saying it must be 100%. The money I raise goes 100% to the memorial garden. I also did not ask for any reimbursement for any materials or advertising that I paid for myself.

I am thinking this year of asking everyone to donate 2 flats at 100% which would mean some would be buying plants for resale. I sold 12 flats last year so it means less plants for the public to purchase too. The few complainers have taken the fun out of it. I enjoyed being able to offer unusual varieties not available otherwise to the public. I am feeling to emotional to be objective. Ideas please.

Comments (11)

• ironbelly1
    18 years ago

"There has never been a statue erected to someone who left well-enough alone."

Is it profiting from the title or profiting by rising above mediocrity? -- I say the later. What you are truly faced with is a choice between trying to appease a few cheap-shot artists (You never will.) or providing an unusual service and product that enriches your entire community.

I suspicion that through their ignorance, they are conjuring up all kinds of misdeeds. I suggest that you ignore them as they wallow in the mire and approach your local newspaper about doing a feature article about the good work you are doing for the community. Try to provide comments from a few of your repeat customers for the reporter to include in the article.

Good should always triumph over evil. However, sometimes it needs a little nudge. ;-)

IronBelly

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    18 years ago

For the past 10 years I have grown plants for Master Gardener plant sales as well as for other non-profit organizations. The only help I ask is for used pots to replace those I give away with the plants. Everything else is at my expence. About $80 per year is for potting soil, probably $35 for seeds or mother plants to furnish cutting material. I have the pleasure of growing plants and the fellowship of other gardeners. If I did not think it was a good deal I would not do it. Al

• blueheron
    18 years ago

Our MG group sponsors a large plant sale in the spring but we order the perennials from a wholesaler. MG's are invited to donate perennial divisions and seed started vegetables to the sale and we get a lot of contributions. It has been a huge success.

I think according to the rules of the MG, any sale you have is supposed to be under the auspices of the MG program and not on your own. You could have your sale but not advertise that you are MG's.

I sometimes sell plants at my yard sale, but I don't mention that I'm a MG. Even if I donated 100% of the proceeds to charity, it would still have to be approved by the local MG coordinator. Have you checked with your coordinator or county agent? They should be able to advise you on the proper procedures.

• Barb52
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the input. Actually the newspaper did a special spring section with our list of speakers etc. The community loved it. We did not have to pay for the building rental as a non-profit, but otherwise there would of been a fee. So to have the sale as just a Spring Expo would cost and I don't think will go over with our members. My other ideas was to pay a vendor fee and rent my own space, but that would probably cause hard feelings to compete with the organization. Our group is small and having a hard time keeping members, so only about 5 can start plants. I grew the most and if I only donate 2 flats it will hurt everyone. I see the point of 100% to the organization. But if they have to purchase plants from somewhere else and mark them up it does not seem right. I think the public expects plants to be grown by MG's. I still need to start plants for the mem. garden because I am the only one I can count on. It has been 6 yrs since she was murdered and the public wants to forget. We do have members that can donate plants dug from their yards though. Any suggestions?

• leaveswave
    18 years ago

Could the MG group be asked to "adopt" the maintenance of the garden? I don't think you should be representing yourself as an MG if you or your memorial garden are benefiting financially. That's my personal opinion and the policy MGs are asked to uphold in our county. Yours may be different. If there's no policy against it in your area then it's a question of how to deal with the complainers: win 'em over, negotiate a compromise, ignore 'em and go for community support and alienated colleagues.

Sounds like a sticky situation. You have my best wishes in working out an equitable solution.

• Barb52
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Believe me I wish someone would take over maintenance. When I planted it last spring I had one Master gardener's help. It was my project long before becoming a Master Gardener. I supplied the perennials when I first planted it and most of the annuals myself since. I get very little donated plants and almost nil labor. The other Mg's that raised their plants kept all of there funds themselves, so at least mine went to anothe non-profit. It does seem reasonable that the growers should at least recoup their expenses. We purchase pots, labels, potting soil and seeds ourselves, not the organization. We do not have a greenhouse to use and my grow light electricty is expensive, so where do you draw the line? None of us are wealthy. Do we hold a separate sale as non Master Gardeners to recoup our losses? I am meeting with one of the other ladies who has the same vision as I to offer unusual plants not offered anywhere else locally. We will probably end up with enough plants to hold a very small MG sale. I did not want to deal with 2 sales, but maybe that is what it will become.

• gardenfan
    18 years ago

Hello to you all,

I am not a master gardener (some day when the timing is right) but wanted to tell you all how much I appreciate what you do. Barb, you dear heart. The contributions and service that you give year round (time, transportation expenses, plant supplies) with the requirement (although understandably reasonable) that you cannot use your title to profit in a professional capacity. I feel sick for you that some would criticize.

This question is a teeny bit off-topic, but how do I find out if any master gardeners would be hosting a plant sale in my area? I love this idea.

• Barb52
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Garden Fan
    Check with your local extension office. They should be in the phone book. The plant sales are a good way to pick up hard to find plants and get some answers to gardening questions answered. Gardeners are generally warm hearted, good natured people. Happy Gardening.
    Barb

• bobbill
    18 years ago

Hi,

We've a plant sale in the works right now. You could send an email to the person who has organized and is running it.

If you take a look at our website limg.org you'll also be able to see one of the methods we're using to advertise it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Long Island Master Gardeners

• irisaddict
    18 years ago

I hate that you are being punished for being a Master Gardener. If you hadn't paid to go through the program, volunteered time on projects, etc. it would be okay for you to sell plants but since you have done all of these charitable things, it isn't.
    I was really upset when TN was/is talking about having a slightly different title but linked to Master Gardener that basically you go through a class but pay $200 or so for the class, don't volunteer, and then can put it on your business card or whatever. Evidently years of volunteer service aren't worthy the $10/hour that they like to put on their reports.

• ljrmiller
    17 years ago

Oooh! I just had an idea for the local Botanical Society and/or local MG's: Plant sales at the Thursday Downtown Farmer's Markets. That would be really fun, and really cool. Hmmm....