Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aleopold_gw

Seminar Name... Help!

aleopold
17 years ago

Hi. I am a member of a Master Gardener club in Tennessee. We are wanting to host a series of seminars over the next couple of years to increase the public's knowledge about gardening. Have any of you done something similar? If you did, would you mind if we used your name? We are trying to come up with something crafty and catchy dealing with gardening. However, many things are already taken around us in other states. But something from Maine or Washington might work. Also, if you have any suggestions, we would really appreciate them. Thanks in advance!

Comments (6)

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    17 years ago

Sonoma county Master Gardeners host a series in seven county libraries during the spring and fall. We call them "Gardening Workshops". Many subjects relating to gardening are keyed to the season and problems associated with it. They are held on Saturday mornings and may draw any number from 10 to 50 depending on the topic of the day. Al

• ltcollins1949
    17 years ago

I'm with the Aransas/San Patricio MG here in south Texas. I don't know if this will answer your question, but here goes.

During the year, every third Tuesday of every month, we have monthly continuing education "Brown Bag Luncheon Programs" which last anywhere from 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Each program is generally presented by one of our members with all subjects pertaining to gardening. Occasionally, we have an outside speaker that is not a member, but our group has so many members with lots of great gardening knowledge, so when we use our own members, we do not have to charge a fee.

Like mentioned above, the names of the programs often deal with the season, i.e. lawn irrigation is often a summertime topic, herbs for the December holidays, etc. Some of our 2007 Brown Bag Luncheon programs are:

Texas Master Naturalists, Growing Roses on the Coastal Bend, Funny Plant Names, Turf Grass Maintenance, Pets and Plants, Orchids, Rainwater Harvesting, and Gardening in Containers to name just a few.

Then about 3 to 4 times a year, we will have longer programs lasting from 1/2 day to a full day. The full day programs include lunch.

All of our programs are open to the public. Sometimes a small fee is needed in order to offset the cost of food and/or to pay for a speaker. And all programs are accepted for MG continuing education.

• aleopold
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks everyone. Anyone else have any suggestions?

• eddie1
    17 years ago

Lord yes, I have a suggestion: I assume you don't want "topic" names like Water Gardening or Landscaping but are looking for a name for the overall seminar and it should be something like: "Adventures In Gardening" or "Gardening Best In The Midwest" - "Gardening For All" - Gardening A To Z"
    You're welcome.

• aleopold
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yes, Eddie. You hit it on the nail! Thanks for all your suggestions. Gardening Best in the Midwest, I really liked that one, maybe I can come up with something for West Tennessee... If anyone else, has some suggestions, please keep them coming. I would like to have as many possibilities present before we decide. Thanks Eddie!

• beth1
    17 years ago

I'm a Sabine Parish MG from Louisiana and every year we host a "Down & Dirty" Gardening Seminar to build public interest in gardening. This year we will be having it on the 24th of February; there will be 4 guest speakers, of which I'm one. We all have different topics. I will be speaking on Herb Gardens; the other topics will be The Southern Garden, Louisiana Iris, and Bluebrid Habitats.

Hope this helps,
    Beth