Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cfb123_gw

Ideas for MG literature to promote our group

cfb123
18 years ago

Hi everyone:

I am a brand new MG and giving it my best to become involved in our struggling county group.

In an effort to try and do better at promoting the MG program, the agent asked if I'd be willng to design a tri-fold flyer. Let me mention I am not a graphic designer, but do have some experience at doing things like this.

So...is there anyone out there who has done something like this before? Will you share some ideas or give me a little insight for this project? I feel a bit inadequate in knowing just what should be focused upon as far as the text as obviously the "message" in this flyer needs to be short and sweet. (Yes, I do have the mission statement that I can certainly pull information from.)

I will have the official logos that I can use for part of the artwork.

Also, if anyone reading this has designed a flyer or similar and doesn't mind e-mailing me the flyer so I can get some visual ideas, I'd sure be eternally grateful! I am NOT desiring to copy nor steal anyone's work! I'd just like to see what other groups out there are providing to the public :-)

P.S. This flyer will be one small way towards trying to revitalize a sorely neglected county program.

Thank you. Claudia

Comments (10)

• eddie_ga_7a
    18 years ago

Yes, there is such a thing as a dumb question, and here's mine: are you promoting Master Gardeners so that a handful more people will apply to be a Master Gardener? Are you wanting to make the public more aware of what the Master Gardeners do? and lastly, WHY would you want the public to be aware of the things the Master Gardeners do, what do they care WHO answers the phone at the county agent's office?
    We have addressed the Why and Who, there only remains whichever are pertinent of the when, where, what , and How. Use bold fonts for a heading,
    Figure out just exactly what you want to address - what do you want to say and who do you want to say it to? Write it out, be concise, add your logo, your mission statement, produced by and for, and you're done. If someone asked me to do this I would be through in 20 minutes but that's just me and my personality type.
    PS - mission statements are boring to the public and most Master Gardeners.
    If you wish, write something up and I will be glad to proof it for you - if you're not too upset at my brevity.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    18 years ago

I feel you may try and say too much. Most of the general public does not know of the Master Gardener Hotline. Concentrate on this one aspect of the program and what the benefits are to the home gardener. If the hotline number is in large print and framed so it can be cut out and pinned up in plain sight where gardening tools are kept, when a problem occurs the number will be available. Al

• curdog007
    18 years ago

While I can relate to your eagerness to be an active member in your association I'm puzzled as to why you want to promote to the public an interest in a "struggling county group"? I suggest that you focus on rejuvinating the present group then you'll have something to offer new members.

• cfb123
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hello Eddie, Al and Lynn:

First, thank you very much for responding.

Next--I did a poor job of clearly explaining my question, to which I apologize. (It was really clear to my brain at the time! lol)

The "promotion" the agent wants to address is in letting folks know that the program exists and that they can take the MG course. The flyer is for recruiting purposes and is not intended to tell the citizens how great we are .

This county's yearly MG teaching program only averages 25 people. The county right next door averages about 100 in each class per year.

So, as far as our agent wanting this flyer....I don't know...maybe there's a little "heat" from the main office stimulating him to start recruiting a little more agressively.

Claudia

• eddie_ga_7a
    18 years ago

Claudia, Your comment "maybe there's a little "heat" from the main office " made me wonder about your agent asking you to do something that possibly he should be doing. Nevertheless, To attract people into the Master Gardener program: play up the name, it's prestiegious, minimize the volunteer hours, focus on the things one will learn and how they will enjoy the camaraderie of other people who are passionate gardeners. Talk briefly about any projects you have. If you don't have any projects, talk about plans for future projects and mention the monthly meetings and programs. If you don't have those then no wonder your group is struggling. Certain people are chosen for Master Gardener training- if those people are not staying around or are not leaders then the selection process needs to change. But that last is not about developing the brochure. As I have said and others have repeated, keep it positive and keep it simple and brief - resist the urge to tell them EVERYTHING. Jump on it and knock out a rough draft and be sure to add at the bottom in small fonts: (this brochure) developed by
    Claudia B. Keep some copies for yourself, they will look good on your resume'

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    18 years ago

I think a class of 25 yearly is plenty, and if your agent does not think so I would ask him to look into his member retention percentages. If that is the reason you need so many new members yearly, then something is wrong with the way the program is being run to cause such a large drop out. Al

• blueheron
    18 years ago

We have a brochure that we hand out to the public. If I can find a copy, I'll let you know what's in it. It's simple, but informative.

• eddie_ga_7a
    18 years ago

I just spoke at the Alabama Master Gardener Conference and while I was there I picked up one of their brochures and I would be glad to mail it to you. You can no longer reach me through the address on this forum so see my mailing address on my website below. If it was so easy for me to pick up a brochure I wonder why your agent wants to reinvent the wheel and why he doesn't just call or email the next county or state and ask them to send him literature like this which can be used as a guide? Maybe it's because the Extension Service is a branch of government and the left hand is not supposed to know what the right hand is doing?

Here is a link that might be useful: Bittersweet Gardens

• stbgardener
    18 years ago

Claudia -
    I'd be glad to send you sample of our flyers - email me with an address! Also, I think a class of 25 isn't bad - are you urban/suburban or rural Mid-TN? Our Hartford-area class usually runs about 45-50 and our more rural areas run 25 and up.

Sarah

• cfb123
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Sarah:
    Evidently you've chosen not to list your e-mail address as it is not available via GardenWeb...so if you would please contact me at the following address: contact@the-artistic-garden.com

I will then either forward my home address or if you can scan the brochures that would be fine, too. Just include them as attachments.

About our MG group--we are both urban/suburban & rural all mixed together. :-)

Thanks for the kind offer of help.

Claudia