Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
poisdescenteur

Q's about MG course

PoisdeScenteur
19 years ago

Hi fellow gardeners! I am not yet a Master Gardener but would desperately like to be one, and would just like some basic info on MG courses. What do they involve? I know I would be required to voulunteer my time, but to do what? Class are involved igather from reading the posts in this forum, and that sounds interesting, but can I get by without having a garden to call my own? (live in an apartment building at present) Do these classes involve hands on projects that would require me to spend money? ANd if I am a MG in NY state, will I have to take the course again if I move to a southern state to mantain MG status? Thank you all in advance for answering my questions, I look forward to one day joining your ranks!
Sincerely,
SweetPea
(pois des scenteur)

Comments (11)

• terri_ks
    19 years ago

Every state is different, both in courses and requirments. Also, each state has there own"pet" projects they take on. You do not spend your own money, just lend your time and talent. I find it very rewarding and have met wonderful people that enjoy the same things as I do. Here we require transfers to retake the course. Contact your county extension agent to get local information. If you are really thinking about it I would get going as sometimes it takes several years to get in. Many of our members are retired and no longer have yards and enjoy the opportunity to get out and dig in the dirt. Good luck.

• Tom_w
    19 years ago

You can find out a good bit about your own state program at the Cornell web page on MG.

Here is a link that might be useful: New York State Master Gardener Program - Cornell Gardening Resources

• jean001
    19 years ago

More than every state is different,this because every county is different.

To obtain accurate answers to your questions, contact the county Extension Service office which serves your own county. (Sometimes an office will serve 2 or 3 adjacent counties.)

• PoisdeScenteur
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks for the link, Tom, very helpful! I should have signed up a year ago when I moved here to NY, I haven't really been able to enjoy a garden since early summer of 2003 and it is killing me! I have enrolled myself in a landscaping correspondence course and I think that some interactive MG classes would be very conducive to my horticultural well being. Not to mention like Terri said, a way to meet some wonderful people.
    Thank you three for getting back to me so quickly!
    SweetPea

• kareen
    19 years ago

I just completed the Master Gardener classes in NY state . If you don't find the answers you want on the Cornell MG site you can email me directly and I will try to help. Kareen

Here is a link that might be useful: Our pond and gardens

• PoisdeScenteur
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Kareen, beautiful ponds! I wish I had the space to do things like that! Well, I got shot right down about the MG program in my county. They just recently finished a course and will not have another one until 2008! What a HUGE let down! I really had my hopes up to be able to join! I am on the waiting list, though, and was told that if there are enough people interested that it will be offered sooner. I think my chances are nil before 2008, but maybe the gardening gods will smile on me. I have tofind some way to get my hands dirty this spring and summer or I am going to shrivel up and die like an untended plant! Take care, y'all and one day I shall join your ranks!
    Wanna be Master Gardener,
    SweetPea
    (poisdescenteur)

• royross
    19 years ago

If you just want to get your hands dirty gardening, is there a botannical garden near to you? Most have a group of volunteers to help with the chores and would probably welcome you.

• kareen
    19 years ago

Thanks Sweet Pea,
    Our pond gives us a lot of serenity. What county are you in? I agree, volunteering time working the gardens of an aboreteum,botanical garden or even a park would fill your need to work in the soil. Also maybe joining your local garden club may help as many plant and maintain in the community. Good luck. Kareen

Here is a link that might be useful: Our pond and gardens

• Kimmsr
    19 years ago

Since the county horticulturist is the person that sets up the classes in each county, it sounds as if some are pretty lazy. Our county has a class every year because we have a waiting list of 100 plus people. Class size is limited by classroom size so normally only 30 people can take the class each year. A couple of times our horticulturist has schedule two classes per week, but that is very time consuming and cuts into the time needed to do the rest of the job.

• nnygardener
    19 years ago

PoisdeScenteur--I inquired about the MG course here in Jefferson County a few months ago and was also told about them just completing one and not starting another for quite a few years. That's what we get for living in a county without enough people. They suggested that I try Oswego County, to see if I could get in their program. I think I called about it (Mexico office of Cooperative Extension) but the classes were only offered during the day or something odd like that so I couldn't sign up.

• orphieg
    19 years ago

I want to become a Master Gardener too. I just sent off my request for application today. The course doesn't start until September. I don't know if I can wait that long! But I'm really looking forward to it. In St. Lucie county the only requirement is to give 75 hours of volunteer services to the community and then however much time you want to give after that.