Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oneduck55

a question about mulch?

oneduck55
18 years ago

I was wondering about your opinions of the rubber mulch made from tires? I have been to the site (www.rubberificmulch.com) but haven't seen any info about it from MGs or gardening shows. It sounds ideal almost. I know it doesn't decompose so it isn't really environmentally good but how safe would it be on the gardens? For animals-birds?

Comments (5)

• gardenguru1950
    18 years ago

Check out this website.

Since this doesn't have to do with Master Gardener programs, does anyone know of a more appropriate forum for discussion of this topic?

Joe

Here is a link that might be useful: Unfriendly recycled rubber

• gardener_sandy
    18 years ago

One of the benefits of using mulch is adding nutrients to the soil as it decomposes as well as improving the structure of the soil. Rubber tires do neither. Plus they don't smell nearly as nice as a fresh application of a natural mulch.

The Soil, Compost, and Mulch forum here at GardenWeb is the best place to ask about this. Or just do a search for tires on that forum and you might find your answers. Here's a link for you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Soil, Compost, and Mulch forum

• oneduck55
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the input-I have read everything and have the answers to my questions. I was worrying about my plants and animals not decoration. I think I have changed my mind. Thanks again. Deb

• bragu_DSM 5
    17 years ago

It certainly is a topic that may be discussed here.

As is the topic of whether MG should be able to profit because they "paid" for their MG designation.

This is a help forum, a sharing forum.

Rubber tires? They pop up if buried in a landfill. Can't see much value for them as mulch, per se, in a beneficial to plants sense.

But again, no topic is sancrosanct, we're trained to point people to where they can find the answers.

dave

• gardenguru1950
    17 years ago

Actually, Dave, the purpose of this forum reads as such:

"This forum is meant for the discussion of master gardener programs as well as other volunteer gardening opportunities."

There are dozens -- indeed, hundreds -- of other web forums, including many within GardenWeb for the discussion of all manner of gardening disciplines. GardenWeb has a very specific and appropriate one, as a matter of fact: "Soil, Compost & Mulch". I suspect that one would have produced a much more thorough response to oneduck's post.

No forum can be all things to all people, hence the reason for specific forums with specific purposes. Allowing all manner of posts in a single forum simply bogs down the individual forum.

For members of this forum who want to answer questions of a general nature beyond the purpose of this MG forum and want to share, I hope they feel free to jump in on those many other forums.

That's my opinion.

oneduck: forgive me for filling up your e-mail box with this aside.

Joe