Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skagit_goat_man_

Volunteer Produce Grower for Food Bank

skagit_goat_man_
16 years ago

Well I've volunteered to grow produce for the local food bank. In the past I helped my wife grow produce to sell at market and subscription. But I'm trying to determine if the type of vegetables grown for market are not the type to grow for a food bank. My initial thoughts are to start off with the "meat and potato" vegies as beans, carrots, cabbage and so on. I'd skip the small white salad turnips and salsify. Have any of you grown for a food bank (not just bringing in surplus produce from your garden) and what were your experiences in what people will take and actually eat? Tom

Comments (7)

• agardenstateof_mind
    16 years ago

Wonderful project, Tom. You may want to go right to the source and ask the people at the food bank - there may be regional or ethnic preferences.

We've just been through this, as our Master Gardener class "inherited" the Plant-A-Row For the Hungry garden started by the previous class. When I asked at the Food Bank if they had any preferences, they were just so pleased to have high-quality, fresh produce I really had to push for anything more specific. While nutrient-dense foods might seem a good choice, the things they really wanted were things that are easily damaged and rather perishable - tomatoes and lettuce, for example. Carrots and cabbages, on the other hand, keep well and can take some abuse. They loved the beans we brought in, and I think they're a good item, nutritionally, but oh what a job to harvest them! They were also thrilled with the tomatillos, peppers (all kinds), and eggplants we delivered. And the herbs - bundles of fresh parsley, dill, rosemary, basil - went in a heartbeat.

Some cosmos self-seeded in our PAR garden from the previous year (we always include some flowering plants for the pollinators as well as beauty) and a long row of zinnias was planted. If you have the space, you might want to include some flowers, for your own enjoyment while working as well as to cut a bunch, or an armload, now and then to brighten the foodbank or for them to give away.

You might want to do a web search of Plant a Row for The Hungry - I just did and, among other things, found a seed company that offers free vegetable seeds - it's linked below. There are also links on that site for the Garden Writers Association PAR Garden and the Second Harvest web sites.

Best of luck with your undertaking.

Diane

Here is a link that might be useful: Seed Offer

• skagit_goat_man_
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Diane, I lived on Long Island many years back and know what great produce you can grow in NJ. Best tomatoes ever. But in NW Washington we just don't have those east coast summers. I sure miss those tomatoes. Thanks for your ideas. I'd never thought of flowers, a nice touch for everyone. Summer hi temps in the hi 60's and nites not much above 50 make growing eggplants and okra in the field a waste of time. But I'll start looking at other more persihable produce. I'll check out the Plant a Row for The Hungry site and the seed offer one too.

I talked to the food bank folks and no one had any real suggestions. Everything is welcome. And they have a new facaility with refridgeration for produce. Thanks for your suggestions. Tom

• naturegirl_2007 5B SW Michigan
    16 years ago

Around us we are best off sticking with common, basic veggies: red tomatoes varieties that can take alot of handling without turning to mush, not unusual colored, soft heirlooms (much as I might love them) slicing cucumbers, green peppers, red radishes, yellow or bicolor sweet corn

Foods that have a long harvest window are good. You can leave them a week...or three, if the pantry doesn't have a big need at the time ie, carrots, onions, beets (roots and greens), potatoes (also can harvest any of these when you have enough time and help to clean them up)

Small red fleshed watermelons that fit in small apartment refrigerators are popular.

Veggies that don't take forever to harvest....we will do few if any beans or peas unless we have ALOT more volunteer harvesters, also not too many cherry tomatoes which can be overwhelming to harvest

Find out what client mix is usual at the pantry. We had one pantry that was unable to give away the many hot peppers we had. A volunteer lived near another pantry that was thrilled to get them and was able to use 20 pounds or more in a week.

Herbs were not taken much at our pantry. I imagine this would depend on the area and clients, also. I was actually asked not to bring anymore. Try not to be offended if they turn something down. You and I just will not always know what their clients can use. Talk with the pantry staff when you bring produce in, find someone who will honestly (and kindly) tell you if your donation is great for them or isn't really of use. I found some thanked me profusely even for produce that they were overloaded with at the time. There was a good chance my donation would not be used while it was still fresh. Once I started questioning more, I was able to split the harvest between two places and supply each with things more suited to their needs.(Took me awhile to get over the rather rude way one pantry volunteer turned away my beautiful chiles!)

Bring good looking produce. Send the culls home with the gardeners. If you are trying to encourage people to eat healthy, you have to make it attractive. Don't give the pantry the rejects.

Hope your project goes well. Many people will appreciate having fresh produce available to them.

• skagit_goat_man_
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Naturegirl, thanks for your suggestions. This is the food bank's first year with refrigeration and freezing for produce. They also have volunteers who will prep it before it's ready for the clients. This food bank uses some market choice for what's needed. Each person is given a # of points each week for food. Then they go in what's basically a small grocery area and pick food which is "priced" with a point value. It's actually a shopping trip and not just getting a box of stuff handed to them. If they don't want beets they don't have to get them.

Since the garden at our new location isn't in yet I'll have a season or two to learn while the garden expands. At our farm we have 1000 asparagus crowns and that should be a welcome addition. I'll remember that part about not being insulted, at least openly, if some of what I bring is turned away. Tom

• charlz
    16 years ago

This will be my third year of growing for the foodbank. I took in about 1100 pounds in 2006 and about 600 in 2007... had some crop failures.

I grow a lot of slicing cukes, summer squash (yellow) and winter squash. The first year I tried heirloom tomatoes but they were just too soft/messy. Cukes and summer squash are easy to grow, fast to harvest and popular. I have asked several people at the foodbank for their preferences but I think they get so little fresh produce they really do not know. I take mine to the regional foodbank so mostly other agencies are the ones coming through.

I am trying beets again this year.... they are a bit more work due to the need to wash them down. Carrots are so cheap for people to buy I don't even bother. Also trying beans which will probably be a lot of work. Expanded the corn patch this year... that is probably the one item that was listed as 'most requested' by the foodbank. Putting in lots of watermelon and cantaloupe... although I do not have the best of luck with melons. My big garden is fairly new and I literally put down tons of compost this year so hoping that helps with the melons.

I like it as it gives me an opportunity to grow foods in bulk and always have tons of fresh produce for the house... all the extra goes to the foodbank or friends. The local foodbank does a summer lunch program for kids which is why I am hoping the melon crop is good... I am sure all the kids would love some fresh watermelon, cantaloupe etc.

I'd recommend you grow what interests you, is not a ton of extra work and would appeal to people who don't have food or 'luxury' food like melons. Harvest interval can also be an issue... the summer squash needs to be harvested regularly which can mean extra trips to the foodbank.

Charles

• kandm
    15 years ago

Can you claim that on your taxes?

• charlz
    15 years ago

If you get a receipt, I believe you can. The figure Plant a Row was using last year was $1.50/lb and they tell their volunteers they can take a tax deduction.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH