Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosebacopa2

What to see and do in northern/mid California?

rosebacopa2
13 years ago

Hi

I am a Minnesota Master Gardener who will be flying into Sacremento in a couple of weeks to spend a few days and would like some suggestions as to some things to do and see in the area.

We can do some driving to other cities and counties to experience some different things.

Any suggestions?.

They will be truly appreciated!!

Lynn

Comments (5)

• nmgirl
    13 years ago

Garden/plant wise or ?

• rosebacopa2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hello nmgirl

Thanks for responding..

I am leaving Thursday am and returning Sunday noon so not much time involved... will have to go again sometime!

We really want to see Muir woods, also golden gate park and maybe capital park in Sac.

Where I still need ideas is .. to find a really cool nursery to pick up some small (now small , later...??) unique succulent type plants to bring back, (winter inside , summer outside).
    Perhaps you have some ideas for me.

I have been referred to a few..Annnie Annuals in Berkley or Flora Grubb ( where ever that is), or Eisley's??

For what I am looking for what are some thoughts?

I hope there will be somethings BLOOMING somewhere out there as I am quite tired of the snow..

One last piece of our trip is where we will stay Thursday night, Napa? Sonoma? near Muir woods (where we will be Friday am. Hopefully reasonable price here to make up for the night in SF....

I was checking a map and the freeways seem to go every which way. We will have to find out which ones to take to go to Napa from Sac then to Muir Woods (really looking forward to that!) from Napa. Any wineries you recommend ???

Say, Thanks so much for any thoughts!

From a Fellow MG in Minnesota!

Lynn

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    13 years ago

California is a BIG state and it's a bit of haul from Sacramento to most places of interest -- be prepared to spend some time in the car :-) If you can make it down to the Bay area, the Ruth Bancroft cactus and succulent garden in Walnut Creek shouldn't be missed. Annie's Annuals is also close by but what it might have on offer in March is up for grabs. Also very worth visiting is the Strybing Arboretum in Golden Gate Park.

As to Sonoma and the Napa Valley, don't expect to find many bargains there -- this is some high priced real estate and nice accommodations will reflect that. But a bunch of really great restaurants and it's hard to drive more than 50' without encountering the entrance to a winery. Some of the bigger ones have larger gift shops, tours and even restaurants but any will offer tastings if they are open. Two of my favorties are Stag's Leap and Chimney Rock.

• kelpmermaid
    13 years ago

You mentioned Sacramento, so UC Davis and its arboretum came to mind. One of these days, I'd like to get up there for something other than work and have a real look... I know they have sales, too. There might be something in this link.

Here is a link that might be useful: UC Davis Arboreturm

• rosebacopa2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

My husband and I had a very nice extended stay in Sacramentonarea due to Minneapolis airport closing this past weekend.
    We did the Muirn Woods, great idea..
    Golden Gate Park was also a good recommendation.
    Thanks so much!
    Lynn